Explorer
Explorer
How do you travel into Canada if you have a handgun in your RV
19 REPLIES 19

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
RICK-ards Red wrote:
Canada-US border is closed right now - besides you don't need a gun in Canada, leave it behind or ship it to Alaska.
A friend's son was house sitting in Vancouver and was shot and killed with a handgun during a home invasion. Tell me again how you don't need a gun in Canada? The locals sure seem to have them.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
EEWally wrote:
Aren't both large and small cans of pepper spray used for personal defense? The rule puzzles me.

Could be one can be concealed.

Google came up with this
https://cottagelife.com/outdoors/whats-the-difference-between-bear-spray-and-pepper-spray/
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't both large and small cans of pepper spray used for personal defense? The rule puzzles me.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
EEWally wrote:
Why are large cans of bear pepper spray allowed into Canada but small cans of the same stuff, or stuff with the same effect, not allowed. (Do I understand that right?).

The large cans are intended for use against bears. The small containers that you can hide in your purse or pocket are intended for use against people. I think!
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
How? Not considering g the border closure which trumps the gun question currently....
I wrapped up my .357, removed the exhaust off one of my snow machines, stuffed it under the engine plate and reinstalled. All of which was under a bunch of moving boxes and items in a trailer. RCMP would have had to literally unload part of the trailer and then disassemble part of the sled to find it.
And I have a good poker face.

Not that I recommend it, but you asked how.

For the nay sayers, I was traveling though BC with a lot of valuable motorized toys, moving to AK, and theft of US snow machines and wheelers was very high then. So it felt justified at the time.

I am sorry but I need to ask...do you feel it is okay for a non-US resident to hide or otherwise arrange to smuggle goods into the US?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
Why are large cans of bear pepper spray allowed into Canada but small cans of the same stuff, or stuff with the same effect, not allowed. (Do I understand that right?).
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the 60s the wife ,5 kids and I traveled to Vancover Canada and I had my 45 hid in underware in the cupboard in the TT. They never found it. I did not even think about it until we got back to the States. I was lucky.
samsontdog:o:W

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
They are good as I can attest. Iโ€™ve been caught twice. One in the 70โ€™s I was up front with a crossing agent showing him under the hood of our van when the agent in the back called out โ€œThey have weaponsโ€. I put my hands in the air and we walked to the rear. Luckily it wasnโ€™t me that was sprayed with our water pistols. The second time was 20 years later when I was presented with a small can of pepper spray on my wifeโ€™s keychain. She swears I put it there.

These guys are good! And there is no reason to violate Canadian laws by carrying a firearm.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
How? Not considering g the border closure which trumps the gun question currently....
I wrapped up my .357, removed the exhaust off one of my snow machines, stuffed it under the engine plate and reinstalled. All of which was under a bunch of moving boxes and items in a trailer. RCMP would have had to literally unload part of the trailer and then disassemble part of the sled to find it.
And I have a good poker face.

Not that I recommend it, but you asked how.

For the nay sayers, I was traveling though BC with a lot of valuable motorized toys, moving to AK, and theft of US snow machines and wheelers was very high then. So it felt justified at the time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

C-172-AV8R
Explorer
Explorer
If you do believe your trip to Canada is essential and can persuade Canadian Customs you might make it in. There are ways to transport weapons and you can discuss that with them ahead of time and file the required paperwork. But Please! Please! Donโ€™t lie to them when they ask and donโ€™t try to hide your weapon. They are really good at their job and the consequences are more than you want to pay. And we really would rather keep you as a friend and for you to come and enjoy our country.....Mike
Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Canada-US border is closed right now - besides you don't need a gun in Canada, leave it behind or ship it to Alaska.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
California girl wrote:
How do you travel into Canada if you have a handgun in your RV

You'd be doing so illegally, at least in the vast majority of cases.

It's not worth trying. Either leave the handgun behind, when visiting Canada; or if that is not acceptable, keep out and miss out on their wonderful country.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a gun. Get a can of bear spray.

Of course, it's a moot point until they re-open the Canadian borders.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
As well, the Csnadian border is presently closed to Americans and probably will be till the next year. Exceptions are made for transitting to Alaska if you are a resident. Fines are stiff.

Failure to comply with the current border restrictions is an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to:

up to $750,000 in fines, and/or
imprisonment of up to 6 months
If you cause a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person while willfully or recklessly contravening this act or the regulations, you could be liable for:

up to $1,000,000 in fines, and/or
imprisonment of up to 3 years

Wait till this Covid thing is over and then come on up and have a beer.