Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Just about dropped it!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Just about dropped it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I contacted B&W and it is normal to have to pin it open to unhitch. That said, I think a small spring loaded ball and detent setup under the handle to lightly hold it open would be an improvement. The force of the kingpin hitting the jaws would close it.

GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

I wanted to keep my two posts separate, but I am really glad you caught that before you did anything serious! [emoticon]

Yeah, Me too!

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMH wrote:

I contacted B&W and it is normal to have to pin it open to unhitch. That said, I think a small spring loaded ball and detent setup under the handle to lightly hold it open would be an improvement. The force of the kingpin hitting the jaws would close it.

I think that would be a reasonable request to B&W. As said by others there is a lot of visual to look at, and I am no different. I check my hitch regardless of which one I am using the Reese slider or the Andersen at least two or three times before pulling out .

What usually happens is someone gets distracted, the secret is not too, but thats sometimes easier said then done. Had a friend awhile back had his wife come out ,and started talking to him while he was unhitching, well he got distracted , drove out from under the fifth wheel ,and forgot to unplug the wiring to the truck, well I got to help him wire in a new one to the fifth wheel ,and it messed up the plug in the truck ,that too had to be replaced .

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife is a second set of eyes also! It's all about routine no matter what you are doing!

YEP distractions can cause lot's of issues just ask me! B-S-ing with family started to pull out of camp site and lots of noise......yep cord was still plugged in and pulled power pedestal over and had water spraying everywhere.

Lesson learned, wife is my bull dog as she tells people to stay away til we are done.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^ That's the problem... you have to do something for it to lock around the kingpin if you've locked the jaws open. A better design would unlock when you pull the lever and lock when you back into the kingpin. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate my B&W Companion, but, it could be improved.

This is what the TrailerSaver does.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

It's all about routine no matter what you are doing!

Because I usually have pressure against the trailer. I always pin it open, so I always have to move the pin back. Back under, remove pin, swing handle shut and reinstall pin.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocamprs wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

It's all about routine no matter what you are doing!

Because I usually have pressure against the trailer. I always pin it open, so I always have to move the pin back. Back under, remove pin, swing handle shut and reinstall pin.

I wasn’t aware you could have the handle pinned open while backing under and THEN remove the pin and close the handle?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The jaws will just hit the king pin, but not close around, with the handle locked open. I do have to lock handle open on occasion to release, but not often. As soon as I pull forward, stop, get out, I immediately release/close handle. Like mentioned, same routine, every time, gives best results.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I wasn’t aware you could have the handle pinned open while backing under and THEN remove the pin and close the handle?"

You can but there is no reason to do so. The option to pin open is to pull away if needed.

honda1

paola kansas

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on my b&w hitch i have to pin open to back into trailer, when it was new i did not have to do that, now that i have many miles on it i have to pin open , wish i didn't have to pin it open . i'm keeping this hitch ..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Just about dropped it!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.