cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norcold refer not cooling properly

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Turned on our Norcold 1211 refrig today. Started cooling as usual. Freezer got down to 10-12 or so, not as cold as usual but ok. Refer compartment leveled off at 50 deg. Set temp up far higher than usual but no change several hours later.

Checked coil and boiler in outside compartment barely warm to the touch. This was all on AC so I tried lp thinking ac heater may be defective. It will not light in lp mode it says “no flow”. Gas is on stove and water heater both lite right up. It worked fine in both ac and lp modes last trip.

Ideas, circuit board maybe?
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley
3 REPLIES 3

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
had a norcold. didn't like it. controller had to replaced twice. started on fire once. now have a dometic and it works very well. don't have to worry about it much.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Update: this AM on lp all nite, refer was 30-32, freezer was +4. Switched to ac operation one hour later same numbers. All appears good. I will likely change the circuit board proactively.

BTW, we have the Amish cooling unit, and they installed two external fans when the cooling unit was installed, as well as a permanent internal fan. The boiler and heat tube coil was about 100 deg today and all seems normal. I backed the temp control off from the 4 setting to two which is our normal setting except in very warm conditions.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Update:i turned the refer completely off for a few minutes. When I turned it on the lp now works. After one hour it has the inside down to 45 and still going. I will try it on ac tomorrow. Just happy it works in lp for now.

I did have to replace a small 5 amp fuse on the circuit board last trip. The circuit board may be showing it’s age. If it works on ac tomorrow that is probably it. If the ac does not work I suspect the ac heater.

Will advise