cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie shopping - need advice on C vs small A

shalbleib71
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm looking for a potential full-time RV for one, maybe a pet eventually. I've been looking at C's pretty much exclusively (some B+s) but then I thought what about small A's?

Primary concerns for the decision would be:
- Gas mileage
- Service costs
- Drivability - I plan to boondock when possible and am aware that road conditions can be a bit more primitive.

Anything else I should be considering, and what's your recommendation? Any other pros and cons would be very beneficial.

Thx in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

shalbleib71
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Have you rented an A, B and C to determine which you prefer?

I have rented a C for a week and liked it just fine. Might be a little trickier to find a small A for rent, but it's a good idea.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
shalbleib71 wrote:
Primary concerns for the decision would be:
- Gas mileage
- Service costs
- Drivability - I plan to boondock when possible and am aware that road conditions can be a bit more primitive.

You hit the nail on the head ! Class C wins in all cases.

A B+ (depending on whose definition of what a B+ is !) also wins 2 out of 3 (service will be about the same) over a Class C.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you rented an A, B and C to determine which you prefer?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having owned both a diesel and gas Class C, I favor the gas.

A class A, given the same "footprint" as a C may nearly always have more storage. That is a big deal if you plan to full time.

It comes down to finding something in great condition.

Water leaks are the killers of any RV. Do not, under any circumstances, buy one where there is water damage. Pretty much anything else can be fixed, provided there are Chassis parts available.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DesertRatz
Explorer
Explorer
Economics favor the smallest RV possible, I think. I recently bought a C. While looking, I looked at A's costing the same amount as I paid for the C. In the end, I reasoned that the RISK of a high cost repair was as lot higher on an A than on a C. Tires, brakes and transmissions will cost a lot more. I didn't want to find myself with an RV I couldn't afford to repair.

If I was going solo, I would need nothing more than a Poptop VW.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, it depends on many factors only you can answer when you look in the mirror. I hazard to guess that a shorter diesel A will give you the best bang and value over time. Fuel cost will be less with diesel over gas, that depends on mileage driven. Many do not drive more than a few k's / yr. The more miles, better to go diesel.
For dispersed camping you want high capacity tanks, batteries, a genny, maybe solar, Propane or Diesel powered heater and genny.
Also you have to consider your itinerary. To follow the seasons in prime areas camp fees will be higher.

A couple weeks dry camping at the Q (if you are new look that up as Quartzsite, Az.) soon teaches value of hookups unless you are a handy, proactive person.

Rv live is not cheap. It is freedom. it is a new sunrise or sunset wherever you decide to be that day.