cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RP fuses blowing when not on shore power

1977tgregg
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping someone has some advice for me. I have a 1 year old Salem bunkhouse with a WF8955 power center. Was getting ready for a weekend trip and a few days before checked everything out for function and all was good. Went out the day before leaving to start the fridge and the RP fuses were blown. Replaced and had lights and fridge again. Went out the day we were to leave and the fuses were blown again. Attempted to replace and appears to be a dead short. Only used the camper one time and now just out of warranty. Any help is greatly appreciated. In a rush I did replace the entire power center but I found that I didn't troubleshoot properly and missed a step leading to misdiagnosis.
8 REPLIES 8

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you replace the power center. That just adds to the trouble shooting.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When a WFCO RP fuses BLOW, that means you had the DC power supply from the battery reversed. BUT, when that happens, you should be able to replace those 2 fuses and correct polarity and everything should be OK. BUT, If when you blew those fuses, and you then connected 120 to the WFCO, that would blow the capacitors on the Converter section and render it BAD. So, since you state you replaced the Power Center you should be good to go. UNLESS and the last part of your post is muddled, did you replace the Power Center BEFORE you verified Battery polarity was correct? You stated you did not troubleshoot correctly and missed a step. What was that missed diag and step? Doug

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Has the trailer been connected to the tow vehicle when the fuses blew. Could the charge line polarity be reversed?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
OPTION one already discussed Backwards battery
Option 2 shorted battery or other short
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

1977tgregg
Explorer
Explorer
This one is hooked up red to pos and black to negative. Traced positive wire (red) through the battery switch dack to the power center to positive on the board. Will post some pics tomorrow.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Black battery cable to positive and white to negative?

Picture would help.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

Although replacing the entire power center seems extreme... may need some pictures there of the DC side.

1977tgregg
Explorer
Explorer
No. Everything worked fine then a couple days later its blowing fuses

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ummm, are the battery cables reversed? After all, they are Reverse Polarity fuses. (The cables can be reversed at either end. They can be reversed at the battery, or, they can be reversed at the converter/charger.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB