cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY 200Ah LiFePO4 battery < $900

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
First watch this video Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) 120Ah Grade A Cell Capacity Testing!

The same company, BLS Battery Industries Limited, that sell those 120Ah cells also sells 200Ah cell ! Build a 12V 200Ah pack WITH BMS for about $800 !!!!

10 REPLIES 10

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a classic risk vs reward. If you are experienced enough and have the know-how to build with confidence and get the components from a source you can trust, you're coming out on top. If your an idiot like me with the luck of a turd in the Thames, it's cheaper to buy pre-made. ๐Ÿ˜„
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
Electric Car Parts is a good place to browse cell options. They aren't in the cheapest around but at least you can call them on the phone if you have a problem. You can build a battery using prismatic cells for about 2/3 the $/amp-hr of a Battleborn, but you don't get the warranty. I built my battery using CALB cells and I'm very happy with it, but if it breaks its on me.
Bruce
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
you can build 280ah ones for less than that now, look around, go in with a few people to reduce shipping costs and you can do it for about 500 US. I noticed there is a company now selling on amazon prebuilt systems in an alumium case.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Renogy 170 AH LiFePo a year ago that I purchased from Walmart for $980 plus tax. It was at that price for a short while then went up to $1400. So far it is working well. If it lasts as long as claimed it will be cheaper than lead acid.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

MrWizard
i will add this

Battle Born $950 for 100 AHR
$1900 for a pair = 200 AHR

Battle Born is the 'lifeline' of LiFePo Drop in batteries
they are the current 'Gold Standard' of quality

Relion reportedly also has very good quality LiFePo batteries

the only LiPo cells I have are in my electronic devices
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Bert the Welder wrote:
However...... It has to be said that this is a sponsored video. Basically a paid ad. He does state at the beginning that the company "reached out to him" for him to test these. As well, he's making money off the link to purchase in the video's description. I think it would be reasonable to assume the company didn't just pull a battery off the shelf and ship it out. They'd have had one that was carefully made to meet, or in this case exceed spec's. So, IMO, this is an infomercial without the over caffeinated presenter or the professional actor wearing a lab coat.

Valid point !

These people have "drank the Kool Aid" DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review, admittedly through a different distributor.

Bad turned to good by the original distributor (BLS) I mentioned:

Defective BLS Battery Industries Limited LifePo4 Cell
Replacement BLS Battery Industries Limited LifePo4 Cell arrives in under 10 days

Glad they got taken care of. But I haven't got a YT channel for them to worry about looking bad on if they left him hooped. Or they might be one of those companies that is actually good. One can only hope. It's not like Chinese companies can't make high quality stuff. Unfortunately "Made in China" comes with a lot of baggage, much undeserved, as they, like any manufacture anywhere, only builds to the quality spec'd by the customer. Quality and Krap can come from anywhere.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Bert the Welder wrote:
However...... It has to be said that this is a sponsored video. Basically a paid ad. He does state at the beginning that the company "reached out to him" for him to test these. As well, he's making money off the link to purchase in the video's description. I think it would be reasonable to assume the company didn't just pull a battery off the shelf and ship it out. They'd have had one that was carefully made to meet, or in this case exceed spec's. So, IMO, this is an infomercial without the over caffeinated presenter or the professional actor wearing a lab coat.

Valid point !

These people have "drank the Kool Aid" DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review, admittedly through a different distributor.

Bad turned to good by the original distributor (BLS) I mentioned:

Defective BLS Battery Industries Limited LifePo4 Cell
Replacement BLS Battery Industries Limited LifePo4 Cell arrives in under 10 days

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
What do the batteries cost if you buy one built in the factory?

To the best of my knowledge, they are not sold this way.

If you break open a Battle Born LiFePO4 battery you see that it is pretty much the same. $950 "Battle Born" Battery Tear Down

I do understand that DIY battery packs are not for everyone.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
First watch this video Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) 120Ah Grade A Cell Capacity Testing!

The same company, BLS Battery Industries Limited, that sell those 120Ah cells also sells 200Ah cell ! Build a 12V 200Ah pack WITH BMS for about $800 !!!!

Thanks Wizard for posting this.
The idea of building your own batteries is very attractive for those with the knowledge and skill to do so. To be able to customize and maximize a battery bank to fix your rig would be great.
If you've got the money to burn, have at it. But seems a steep risk considering the potential for real world failure, a difficult to claim warranty (if there is one), and the risk of burning down your rather large investment. Not to mention possibly your house/garage or family. Or even the possible risk of your insurance company not covering your loss.
Just food for thought.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What do the batteries cost if you buy one built in the factory?