cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier air v won’t start

prento
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all my carrier air v will now not start you press the remote it beeps twice but won’t turn on,I’ve reset the remote But still the same any ideas.
10 REPLIES 10

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
prento wrote:
There is a very small red flashing light in the unit that is flashing off and on (not in a code)

Yep, I had the same thing. Once the campground replaced the 50 amp breaker it worked fine. The red LED is powered by the 12 volt side. If you get 2 beeps and the control panel lights up, green on light, it is the A/C power. If your breaker is not kicked test the power at the campgrounds post.
I didn't have a multi-meter with me to test the voltage but the guy I camp with had a surge protector that analyzes the post power when plugged in. It told us "open L1". When the service guys finally found a meter to test the post there was 120 on one leg but nothing on the other leg of the 50 amp.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think flashing red is normal but not sure. I posted a link to the service manual do not recall seeing red mentioned.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

prento
Explorer
Explorer
There is a very small red flashing light in the unit that is flashing off and on (not in a code)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had Carrier units on a previous coach. Try turning all the power off on the coach for about 10 minutes. Unplug the coach and turn the batteries off. Had a tech who wanted to charge me $100 to diagnose the problem, but would only be able to do the next morning. In fairness, he was going to have to drive from Rapid to Custer to check it. I called another shop and the guy there told me to do what I described. Worked like he said it would. Started right up when I re-connected.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had carrier on a previous coach. Try turning all the power off on the coach for about 10 minutes. Unplug the coach and turn the batteries off. Had a tech who wanted to charge me $100 to diagnose the problem, but would only be able to do the next morning. In fairness, he was going to have to drive from Rapid to Custer to check it. I called another shop and the guy there told me to do what I described. Worked like he said it would. Started right up when I re-connected.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
I had the exact same thing this weekend. The 50 amp service only had power on one leg. According to the manual 2 beeps means a problem with the power.

Two beeps means two actions
BEEP I'm on
Beep Temp set
One beep when turning off (Since no need to set temp turning off)
Been operating one for 15 years +

There is a LED light on the control board above the filters but I do not know the blink code
Here we go.. Two resources for you
First find and observe that blinking or non blinking light

Service manual

If you can not see the LED. Odds are 120vac not delivered to Roof.

Note the Rooftop service manual says Green LED 5 Blinks no power.

But with carrier.. Well. I have not tested (will check sometime)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the exact same thing this weekend. The 50 amp service only had power on one leg. According to the manual 2 beeps means a problem with the power.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
The Carriers were very bad. I had 2 Carrier heat pumps on my 2011 Open Range. Supposedly, Open Range bought all remaining stock of Carrier RV A/C & heat pumps when Carrier got out of the RV business and Open Range was just starting. Constant problems all the time. Open Range apparently knew the Carrier's were bad and willingly replaced them before my 2 year warranty had expired. Needless to say I was shocked that they agreed to replace them so easily. The original Open Range company really stood by their products.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Answered elsewhere but just recalled something.
The BEEP BEEP Means the remote is working but is it on A/C or some other mode like HEAT? (Forgot that in my other response)
It also means 12 volts is getting to the unit and the electronic part of the controls is working

now on the 120 volt side of life
On my rig I had that problem when nearly new (less than 5 months) found several screws loose in the breaker box.. NOTE UNPLUG BEFORE TIGHTENING one took over 3 turns A/C worked fine after that till they failed due to Bad Design.

Still work fine now that they have been upgradeed.

There are relays on the control board... IN my RV I have two OTHER control boards that have failed.. On one I've diagnosed relay failure (Will rebuild)

Plugs can unplug. wires get moused. For both Blower and Compressor motors to fail at the same time... Not likely