Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need input into newer GM D/A dually trucks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Need input into newer GM D/A dually trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am considering replacing my truck, it is getting old with over 403,000 K on the odometer. Reliability is waning a bit, stuff starting to break. (Truck in sig)
A lot of people say keep and fix it, as the LBZ was the best. But a vehicle gets to a point where things just start wearing out.

My old beast has been good, but 14 years as a dedicated work truck has taken its toll, even though I try to take care of it.

Are there any inherent problems with later model GM Duramax/Allison trucks? Any ones in the 2016 - 18 range I should be wary of? Any to stay away from?

I know the DEF system is a pain in the rear, but what about other issues?

I found a nice clean 2016 3500 D/A dually, loaded. 160,000 K on the odometer. I haven't contacted the seller yet, want to do my homework first. It is half the price of a new truck. 48G sticker.

Still astounds my how much used trucks go for....[emoticon]

Thanks. [emoticon]


2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'


jdc1

Rescue, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

40,000+ miles a year? Sounds like it was used for hauling.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

40,000+ miles a year? Sounds like it was used for hauling.

No, 14 years as of the 15th of this month and 403458K on it, or 250,697 miles.
That's 28,818 K per year, or 17,906 miles per year.
It has been my work truck since I bought it new Aug 15, 2006. Never used for hauling.

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2016 is four years old. It has 160000 miles on the odometer. That’s 40000 per year.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


Walaby

Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 11/10/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

40,000+ miles a year? Sounds like it was used for hauling.

No, 14 years as of the 15th of this month and 403458K on it, or 250,697 miles.
That's 28,818 K per year, or 17,906 miles per year.
It has been my work truck since I bought it new Aug 15, 2006. Never used for hauling.

Think he meant the new one. 4 years old and 160K kilometer's, which is, 40K klick's per year. I think he was thinking 160,000 miles per year.

I think these year Duramax's have issues with the injectors grenading, but Im not positive. Just read a lot about the CP3 fuel injectors having issues.

That's only approx 24,000 miles, so not horrible. Little high. Probably still used for hauling.

Mike


Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS


BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

40,000+ snip

No, snip

Think he meant the new one. 4 years old and 160K kilometer's, which is, 40K klick's per year. I think he was thinking 160,000 miles per year.

That's only approx 24,000 miles, so not horrible. Little high. Probably still used for hauling.

Mike

Ah yes! Now I get it - Lol! I have to agree with you, thanks. Not enough coffee yet today! [emoticon]

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Duramax used thru 2016 was the LML. In 2017 they started with a new Duramax called the L5P. The L5P uses a Denso fuel system instead of a Bosch system. The old Bosch CP4 injection pump had a bad reputation for failures on both Chevy and Ford diesels. When the pump went out it generally took the rest of the fuel system with it. I would much prefer a 2017 or newer with the Denso pump. The L5P also gained 80 hp and 250 lb ft.
I am also astounded at the kind of money people pay for trucks. I've been shopping for a new work truck myself as my 2005 that I bought new now has 270,000 miles on it. Mine is still doing quite well but I know I'll need a new one before long.
When I build a crew cab diesel dually cab and chassis truck with 4wd exactly like I want it the sticker is about $56,000. The price from the dealer is around $49,000. When I look at used trucks the majority of them 5 years old or so are going for more than I can buy a new one for. I can't for the life of me figure out what you add to a truck that's worth an extra $30,000 over what I'm specifying.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

The Duramax used thru 2016 was the LML. In 2017 they started with a new Duramax called the L5P. The L5P uses a Denso fuel system instead of a Bosch system. The old Bosch CP4 injection pump had a bad reputation for failures on both Chevy and Ford diesels. When the pump went out it generally took the rest of the fuel system with it. I would much prefer a 2017 or newer with the Denso pump. The L5P also gained 80 hp and 250 lb ft.
I am also astounded at the kind of money people pay for trucks. I've been shopping for a new work truck myself as my 2005 that I bought new now has 270,000 miles on it. Mine is still doing quite well but I know I'll need a new one before long.
When I build a crew cab diesel dually cab and chassis truck with 4wd exactly like I want it the sticker is about $56,000. The price from the dealer is around $49,000. When I look at used trucks the majority of them 5 years old or so are going for more than I can buy a new one for. I can't for the life of me figure out what you add to a truck that's worth an extra $30,000 over what I'm specifying.

That's good to know about the pump, thanks. Good information. I had to put a pump on mine at around 300,000K. Expensive...
The price difference Canada vs US is a lot. I built one last year similar to mine, a few more options but not everything and it was 84G Cdn. Hard to justify.
Boggles my mind the price of used trucks.

#1Flyboy

California

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2005

View Profile



Posted: 08/02/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2019 is the LAST year of the true Allison 6 speed transmission ( unless you get a 4500 of bigger) as they went to the new 10 speed in 2020 ( built by GM but “ branded” Allison )... Got a 2019 Duramax Dually for hauling our AF TC on ( we’re FT ) ....Not a complaint in 23000 miles...

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2004

View Profile



Posted: 08/02/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

The Duramax used thru 2016 was the LML. In 2017 they started with a new Duramax called the L5P. The L5P uses a Denso fuel system instead of a Bosch system. The old Bosch CP4 injection pump had a bad reputation for failures on both Chevy and Ford diesels. When the pump went out it generally took the rest of the fuel system with it. I would much prefer a 2017 or newer with the Denso pump. The L5P also gained 80 hp and 250 lb ft.


This is one of the reasons I traded in my 2012 Duramax last fall with about 109K on it. While it was a good truck I knew it had the CP4 in it and it was a potential ticking time bomb. The other reason is I didn't want the first year of a redesign of the 2020's not to mention the look especially the Chevy's are controversial, plus deals were to be had on the 2019's last fall. I agree with the 2017-2019 model years is where I would shop.

Dan


2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Need input into newer GM D/A dually trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.