cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggested locations in Arizona's White Mountains?

treeofliberty
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and are looking forward to a couple weeks on the road in our FW with our two rottweilers, in early September. After a hot summer and all the COVID insanity, we just want to get out of Phoenix and boondock in the White Mountains. This is new territory for us, so I'm looking for wisdom here on recommended areas and any other things to consider (like permits). Our FW has solar, nearly 500 ah of battery, full house inverter, cell booster and too many creature comforts. We just want to get away.

Our preference is wooded areas and it would be a plus to be near water, but not a hard requirement. Just want cool and private.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Tim

2013 F-350 6.7L Diesel, Crew Cab, Shortbed, Andersen Ultimate 2
2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS, 540 watts of solar, Magnum MS2812 inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2025 and SC-2030, weBoost 4G-M cell booster
5 REPLIES 5

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Yeah ... it's getting pretty dry here, too. For weeks I've been removing 40 years accumulation of leaves to clear a big circular area around our home - just in case a fire should come up the canyon. :E

Can you save those leaves somewhere and put them back after fire season? Losing their deep leaf mulch can be deadly for many native trees, especially oaks.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
Propane fire pits and BBQโ€™s were permitted but no wood fires of any kind, charcoal or even smoking was allowed. Sorry I was not more specific. The campgrounds were not selling firewood. We have a Campfire in a can and enjoy it often especially during fire bans. The White Mountains are as dry as I have ever seen them which makes for extreme fire danger. Usually by July first the bans have been lifted but this year the Monsoon is MIA.โ€

Yeah ... it's getting pretty dry here, too. For weeks I've been removing 40 years accumulation of leaves to clear a big circular area around our home - just in case a fire should come up the canyon. :E
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane fire pits and BBQโ€™s were permitted but no wood fires of any kind, charcoal or even smoking was allowed. Sorry I was not more specific. The campgrounds were not selling firewood. We have a Campfire in a can and enjoy it often especially during fire bans. The White Mountains are as dry as I have ever seen them which makes for extreme fire danger. Usually by July first the bans have been lifted but this year the Monsoon is MIA.โ€

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
You will find everything you are seeking at one of the campgrounds near Big Lake. Reservations are a must, especially this year. Sounds like you are fine without hookups and if so try the Rainbow CG which has very large sites, flush toilets and water spigots throughout the very large campground {and no you can not fill your RV from the spigots}. Showers are available but it is a bit of a hike and cell service is next to nonexistent. There is a dump station just outside of the CG.

There is another CG just down the road with hookups, I think the name is "Trout" check the Arizona Campground Map {Google it} for details and the reservation number. Both campgrounds are located at 9,000+'. We were at Rainbow a couple of weeks ago and there was a complete fire ban in effect. They have had some rain since then so it may have been lifted. Expect serious thunderstorms most afternoons but then that is part of the charm of the high mountains.

:C

I'm curious as to what a complete fire ban means? Does that include propane fueled firepits?

We now carry along a large size propane firepit and a propane bottle for it. It warms folks sitting around it just like a live fire does, and you can roast marshmallows and wieners over it. We haven't built a good old messy, smelly, smoky, hard-to-put out and cleanup - wood camping fire in quite some time.

It's the only way to go, IMHO. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will find everything you are seeking at one of the campgrounds near Big Lake. Reservations are a must, especially this year. Sounds like you are fine without hookups and if so try the Rainbow CG which has very large sites, flush toilets and water spigots throughout the very large campground {and no you can not fill your RV from the spigots}. Showers are available but it is a bit of a hike and cell service is next to nonexistent. There is a dump station just outside of the CG.

There is another CG just down the road with hookups, I think the name is "Trout" check the Arizona Campground Map {Google it} for details and the reservation number. Both campgrounds are located at 9,000+'. We were at Rainbow a couple of weeks ago and there was a complete fire ban in effect. They have had some rain since then so it may have been lifted. Expect serious thunderstorms most afternoons but then that is part of the charm of the high mountains.

:C