cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rocky Mountain National Park to Cheyenne Mountain State Park

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We will be leaving mid-day on a week day to move from Glacier Basin Campground in RMNP to Cheyenne Mountain SP. I am familiar with the Peak to Peak Highway down to I-70 and to Loveland to pick up I-25 S. I am less familiar with US 36 through Boulder.

I am just wondering if someone with more local experience might give me some suggestions about the best route. Maybe I am just lucky, but I have never had any difficulty driving right through Denver on I-25. I am not so sure about Boulder.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
11 REPLIES 11

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
BTW, Cheyenne Mountain is our favorite place to stay in the Springs.

Ours too, for sure! We were just there in July and now we plan to be back in September. We have always stayed "at the top" in Raptor's Glen. We often plan trips to Colorado around when we can get 3 or 4 days at Cheyenne Mountain. This time we were able to get these days in Cheyenne Mountain and in Glacier Basin in RMNP.

Thanks to all for the help about the route. I think we will make it now.:)

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I live in a SW Denver suburb and, if at all possible, even I avoid I-25 when towing my fifth wheel. And the construction at Larkspur makes it doubly-avoidable. If I were coming from Estes Park, I would follow Thom's suggestion, but only to US 287 in Longmont. Turn onto 287 and follow it south all the way to I-70, then go west to C-470. Follow 470 all the way around the west side of the Denver area to Santa Fe Drive (US 85). At Sedalia, take CO 67/105 to Palmer Lake and Monument. Both state highways are good roads and much less busy or stressful when towing, although winding and a bit slow in spots.

BUT (that's a big "but"), don't drive any of the recommended routes during morning or evening rush hour in the Denver or Colorado Springs areas! You will not enjoy the experience and could even ruin your whole Colorado "adventure."

BTW, Cheyenne Mountain is our favorite place to stay in the Springs.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Thom beat me to it! CO83 is a very pleasant road to drive on. It still gets traffic during rush hour but not as bad as I-25 through the same area. You could even go as far as Lincoln Ave or Ridgegate or even down to Hess (next exits after the Toll) on I-25 then cut across. A friend of ours lives in Castle Rock and works in Colorado Springs and that's how he goes to work every day.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
padredw wrote:
Just be aware that I25 from Castle Rock to Monument is still in major reconstruction. Narrow lanes and lots of lane movement.

But is there any reasonable alternative when towing a 34' fifth-wheel? I can't seem to find one on the map.

There is one other alternative, one that I used when I needed to be on the east side of the Springs at an RV park off US 24.

Take I-25 south to E Arapahoe Rd. Head east to S Parker Rd/CO 83. Head south on CO 83 through Parker and Franktown and on in to Colorado Springs. Once there, several routes over to I-25.

Yes, there's going to be traffic on E Arapahoe Rd as well as S Parker Rd through Parker. I didn't experience any major problems and I went through during the 3-4pm time frame. Nice drive once past Franktown and on in to the east side of C Springs. Trade off, I suppose, dealing with traffic vs construction zone traffic.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
padredw wrote:
Just be aware that I25 from Castle Rock to Monument is still in major reconstruction. Narrow lanes and lots of lane movement.

But is there any reasonable alternative when towing a 34' fifth-wheel? I can't seem to find one on the map.

Not sure at this point. There is a CO 105 out of Sedalia that runs south and meets I25 in Monument. We are going to take a ride this week and check it out as it could work for us and our 34' Hitchhiker. We are off of C470 which you could connect from I70.

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
Not really a good path for your trip other than right thru Denver. 36 to 66 to I-25 then enjoy the traffic. You can go around on toll road, but expensive, even with NTTA tag. Castle Rock is always a pain and with construction, it adds time and more white knuckle driving than I like, but can be done. Getting to I-25 between 9:30-10:00 AM is not bad and gets you to Air Force Academy before noon. That's my 2 cents, have fun!

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, Thom. As always, your knowledge of the roads and routes of this area provides the guidance I was seeking. I have saved these notes for my trip planning.

Now. . . let's just hope this trip holds together. I have had reservations for Glacier Basin for months. I have received alerts and warnings but, so far, no cancellation. I will try to be prepared for either outcome: the trip as I am planning or no trip at all this year.

We have visited Rocky Mountains National Park many times but have always stayed in Estes Park, either in an RV Park or in a small cabin. This will be our first time to stay IN the park, so it is a "big deal" for us.

Thanks, again, for the very help I was looking for.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good suggestion by Thom.
I really liked living in Colorado, but RMNP is the one place that is loved to death.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
padredw wrote:
We will be leaving mid-day on a week day to move from Glacier Basin Campground in RMNP to Cheyenne Mountain SP. I am familiar with the Peak to Peak Highway down to I-70 and to Loveland to pick up I-25 S. I am less familiar with US 36 through Boulder.

I am just wondering if someone with more local experience might give me some suggestions about the best route. Maybe I am just lucky, but I have never had any difficulty driving right through Denver on I-25. I am not so sure about Boulder.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

As you're coming in to Boulder on US 36 from Lyons, it becomes 28th St, a major north/south route. Which is to say a lot of traffic and traffic lights (at least the times recently that I've been through).

Two suggestions. At the intersection for Iris Ave/Diagonal Highway, make a LEFT onto the Diagonal/CO 119 and go just a bit east to get on Foothills Parkway/CO 157 southbound, a RIGHT exit. Though there are traffic lights on Foothills, there are far fewer than you'll have staying on 28th St through Boulder. On the south end, you'll join up with US 36/Boulder-Denver Turnpike. 2 lanes that exit LEFT (don't want to stay RIGHT to Table Mesa Dr -- made that mistake). This bypasses most of the stop/go traffic through Boulder.

Second suggestion. Bypass Boulder altogether. Coming down US 36 from Estes Park to Lyons, instead of turning right and taking US 36 south to Boulder, stay on CO 66 (straight) to Longmont (north side of town). Take it past US 287 intersection and continue on east to join up with I-25. This puts you on the 3 lane section of I-25 all the way down to the Denver area.

Safe travels!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.