cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to empty fresh water tank without pump?

someuser001
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump is not working and I need to get it replaced.

Is there a way to empty the full fresh water tank without the use of a water pump?

I have 2018 Forest River sunseeker
23 REPLIES 23

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drain valve on my Forester is right next to the tank.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've had to replace the flexible tubing between the tank and pump a couple times because it just wouldn't keep a seal on the barbed fittings any more. Air was getting sucked through the joints and was keeping the pump from priming. After replacing the old used tubing with some not new, but unused left over tubing I had that was still soft and flexible the pump was able to draw water from the tank again.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure the pump is not airlocked and maybe not getting water to start the pump pulling water?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I am with the person who asked if the winterizing valve was turned to the proper position. look on youtube for the procedure to dewinterize and check that valve too.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several ways depending on your RV and it may not be necesary

Some ways: First my rig. If I follow the pipe from the tank outlet there is a quarter turn valve. I turn this and no water leaves the tank so now I can change pump safely (YIPPIE)

next is a T-fitting and the T-line runs to the pump. the Through line to another quarter turn valve to an outlet under the RV to drain (Come back tomorrow)

There is a 2nd outlet on the tank (I installed a petcock)

Some rigs if you crawl under there is either a capped pipe or a valve or both

Court of last resort.
Somewhere ABOVE the tank is a gravity fill.. Siphon hose.

But there should be a drain and a cut off valve to the pump.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
someuser001 wrote:
The tank is completely full. So I want to avoid driving down the highway with a full tank. I guess it should be ok. But seeing if I can empty it before for better gas mileage

For the pump. It keeps running. But no water comes out the tap. Any ideas how to debug? I was going to take it to a shop

This not a trailer but a class c. Where would I find this valve. I have looked below but cannot find it. Any ideas what it might look like?

Emptying the FW tank is not going to make any measurable improvement on fuel mileage. It's frontal air resistance that affects fuel mileage way more.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
someuser001 wrote:
But seeing if I can empty it before for better gas mileage

let's assume a 40 us gallon tank. About 300 lbs of water

The weight (measured) of my RV is 13750 lbs. But let's round that down to 13000 lbs.

300/13000 = 2.3%

I think you may be hard pressed to measure the difference in mileage.

Totally agree:) I run with about 50 gallons of H20 with a 70 gallon tank. my Milage doesn't vary with tank 1/4 full or 1//2 full about 1 mile per gallon. I always want water to use bathroom when traveling and on occasion Have pulled over in a rest area in the summer and taken a shower when the weather is hot:) All trailers have a drain peacock or valve on the bottom of the tank. Some valves extend a little below the tank.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Before you go paying a shop stick a vacuum on the faucet and use your hands to make a decent seal.

Turn both the water pump and vacuum on to prime the system. Happens to my friends trailer all the time.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œBut seeing if I can empty it before for better gas mileageโ€

Four hundred twenty odd pounds (50 gallons) isnโ€™t going to make a difference in gas mileage. Dumping, driving, refilling will very boring very quickly. And forget that beautiful dry campground you just discovered...you donโ€™t have any water.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Was the Valve for pumping antifreeze into the lines turned and not turned back?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thereโ€™s a greater chance that the pump isnโ€™t shot on a 2 year old RV and that itโ€™s something else.
I realize you didnโ€™t ask for advice about the issue but rather just how to drain the tank, but Iโ€™d be more inclined to find the issue than worry about draining the tank.
If you do want advice about the issue, you need to be more complete with your description of the issue, beyond โ€œpump runs, no water come outโ€.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yes certainly there's a drain.
If you have a winterizing kit installed beside the water pump, make sure the valve is shut off before proceeding with pump maintenance.
Left open will suck air and pump runs leaving false impression that pump is shot.

And lastly, if your hot water heater was empty for this particular trip, it takes the pump several minutes to fill.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Sorry I can't help but there should be a drain somewhere near the tank.

As far as the pump running but no water, Try unscrewing the aerator off the end of the faucet. It might be plugged up with old construction debris.

Also see if the winterizing valve is set to pull antifreeze out of a jug. That will keep the pump from pulling out of the tank.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Derrrrrr, โ€˜nother turn the key and point the RV in the right direction and ride on ignorance is bliss!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold