Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: DeWalt vs Milwaukee
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> DeWalt vs Milwaukee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Makita for professional use.
Been using them since 1983. I have NEVER had a Makita tool break.
Only time I have to replace them is when new technology comes along.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

I've got an older 18V DeWalt that has served me well, aftermarket replacement batteries are dirt cheap on Amazon, and they do have a 18V to 20V adapter that would allow it to use their modern battery design...but there are times I wish it had more power.

This video comparison of DeWalt batteries vs cheap replacement batteries may interest you: Project Farm

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

patperry2766 wrote:

I've got an older 18V DeWalt that has served me well, aftermarket replacement batteries are dirt cheap on Amazon, and they do have a 18V to 20V adapter that would allow it to use their modern battery design...but there are times I wish it had more power.

This video comparison of DeWalt batteries vs cheap replacement batteries may interest you: Project Farm

-Michael

Yeah, just watched that this morning. For the 18V DeWalt brand, it $99 on Amazon. For a 2pk of 4.5 rated aftermarket batteries with Li batteries instead of NiCad, it's $53 dollars. So for essentially 1/4 the price of name brands, I can handle a little less performance

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased a set of DW cordless ("20vMax") tools in 2012 (drill, saw, driver, angle grinder, recip saw, flashlight) that a professional handyman used for a 5-month "restore" of our remote cabin. Used up a few batteries and saw blades. Never a problem with the DW tools during or after that time, including the intervening 8 years of my homeowner use, building of two wood sheds, and rebuild of a 30' boat dock.

Were I going back into the construction/ corded tool world, probably default to Milwaukee, but for even aggressive homeowner use, been pretty happy with DeWalt.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran a electrical panel shop for many years and was convinced that Milwaukee was the only way to go, we destroyed tools on a regular basis in an effort to meet unrealistic delivery dates.
But my neighbor bought a Ryobi drill and I liked it so I bought one for my personal use and it held up as good or better than the Milwaukee so now I have a complete array of Ryobi tools.
If any of them were make in the US I would buy that brand but to my knowledge none of them are I would buy that even at a higher cost.
further more Lithium is the only way to go, they last longer and maintain the power until they are dead.
Just my two cents for whatever its worth.

"Oath Keeper"
Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it from a pro, 20V DeWalt hands down.

The older we get, the faster we go

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appreciate everyone's responses so far. For the next question, for a non-professional typical homeowner, it is worth the extra money for brushless motors?

For instance, HD has a DeWalt 20V XR 1/4 impact driver with 4Ah battery 1825 in/lb torque for $248. Amazon has the same 20V Dewalt but with a brushed motor with charger and 2 Ah battery with 1400 in/lb torque for $99.

Is 425 in/lb torque and a 2 Ah bigger battery worth almost $150 to a non-trades professional? I know batteries are expensive, stupid expensive. At this point in my life, I really can't imagine going much more than building with 4x4's.

****, I REALLY hate when I overthink a problem.

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brushes can wear out and, I lost every extra brush that came with every tool that needed them.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't think the extra torque and battery life would make much difference for a homeowner. Having two small batteries is sometimes a better idea than one big battery: the smaller ones are lighter and more compact, and you can use one while the other recharges. 1400 in-lbs is a bit under 120 ft-lbs; if you need more than that for putting together a deck, you apparently aren't pre-drilling sufficiently or screwing into steel beams or some such.

There are perhaps other differences internally besides just the motor, given the price differential. I wouldn't be surprised if the more expensive one had a beefier gear train, etc.; but it's not likely you'd wear either one out anytime soon.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For just normal usage around the house and garage, I can't see the benefit of spending the extra money. Mine are not brushless and have built and repaired a couple good sized decks, and other work around the place and show no signs of giving up any time soon. Use the money saved to buy a few more tools. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> DeWalt vs Milwaukee
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.