cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery charging with disconnect

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I have a battery switch that disconnects the negative cable between the battery and chassis. If it is disconnected will anything in the trailer be harmed if I hook up a battery charger with the positive cable still connected?
Thanks in advance, Greg.
8 REPLIES 8

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
So make the last connection on the 120 volt end of the charger (Man was that simple) Disconnect in reverse order (Unplug first).

Always!:) Thanks All.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok with a battry charger. As someone implied it's best to make the last connection "Remote" from the battery to avoid what happens if brown's gas gets mixed up with a spark (KABOOM in case you wonder Browns is one part Hydrogen two parts oxygen)

So make the last connection on the 120 volt end of the charger (Man was that simple) Disconnect in reverse order (Unplug first).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Direct to the battery terminals to maintain the battery is good in all conditions.
Disconnect switch can be in any position.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I would double check isolation.disconnect then test.

Between battery and frame WITH SOLAR PANELS AND ALL OTHER CHARGING SOURCES DISCONNECTED

Test light.

If test light lights up OK. If no light you have a problem

I donโ€™t quite follow that? I have no solar panels, and I installed the battery disconnect on the only ground cable between the battery and chassis.
Also, the main slide does not want to operate if the battery is low...even when connected to the truck and the truck running. Is this normal?? Or is my main slide motor maybe getting weak? I did lube the slides last year.
Thanks. Greg.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would double check isolation.disconnect then test.

Between battery and frame WITH SOLAR PANELS AND ALL OTHER CHARGING SOURCES DISCONNECTED

Test light.

If test light lights up OK. If no light you have a problem

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some chargers say to put the neg clamp on the frame instead of the neg battery post to avoid sparks. If you did that with the battery neg cable disconnected from the frame, you would get nothing to the battery. If you put the neg clamp on the battery it would work.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s the opposite. Keeping your battery fully charged is essential to its longer life.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing will be harmed with switch on or off hooking up an exterior battery charger.