cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

heated mattress on forest river flagstaff

pattyann1750
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I purchased a forest river flagstaff micro lite and it comes with a heated mattress.When I laid on the show model I didn't like the feel even though it is memory foam.We spent $400 on a dynasty memory foam 2 yrs ago that I love.I(not heated).I want to swap them out when the tt comes but my DH doesn't think we can and the salesman didn't know.Has anyone ever swapped them out or replaced it with their own.I can compromise and get a heated blanket but can't compromise on the mattress quality.OK I'm spoiled but I can live with that .HaHa
10 REPLIES 10

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I never removed the plastic bag from the heated mattress on my last RV. Sold it to a friend for $100 and i still feel like i cheated him.

All it was, was a low wattage light bulb stuck inside the flimsy hard mattress. CHEAP! And as you said, very uncomfortable. I always put in the Exact mattress that i like in my bedrooms.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
We put a 2" memory foam on top and still used the heat. It was slower to get to the point where you could feel it, but it did work. A year or so ago, we got rid of both, got a new mattress and a heated mattress pad and like this much better.

Best answer !

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
pattyann1750 wrote:
Thanks for the posts.My concern was how the heating element was attached and if it is readily able to be disconnected to remove.Since the TT is still in production I am going to take a long shot and see if they could keep the mattress and give me a maxxair fan over the bed.:-)

No problem getting rid of the heated mattress. Our Rockwood came with that. We put a 2" memory foam on top and still used the heat. It was slower to get to the point where you could feel it, but it did work. A year or so ago, we got rid of both, got a new mattress and a heated mattress pad and like this much better.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Our 07 Cherokee had the heated mattress and it was terrible. I did like the heat though. So we put a foam egg crate topper on it. It transformed that mattress to being one of the most comfortable to sleep on! And I still had the heated function!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pattyann1750
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the posts.My concern was how the heating element was attached and if it is readily able to be disconnected to remove.Since the TT is still in production I am going to take a long shot and see if they could keep the mattress and give me a maxxair fan over the bed.:-)

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
That heated mattress is like a rock, but with an eggcrate foam topper plus a thick mattress pad (cover) on it, ours is pretty comfy for me. I'm a back sleeper, though. Hubby is having some issues with it. The heat is really nice, but you could swap out the mattress and get a heated mattress pad for it & be ahead. Good luck!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
What would prevent you from swapping out the mattress? Unless the mattress is too big to get through the trailer door I see no reason why you couldn't pull the original off and put your preferred mattress on.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Rockwood with a heated mattress. I never use it and put a quality foam pad on top of it. I will be sleeping out there tonight listening to the owls because it is so comfortable. When it gets cold I close up the trailer and use a down sleeping bag.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Rockwood Micro Lite equal and it too came with the 'heated' mattress...

It sucks as far as comfort..

I don't recall that the OEM mattress actually has a 'memory foam' top on it, but it didn't matter...

We got our own aftermarket 3" memory foam pad for it and much, much better...

But, we don't and have not used the 'heated mattress' part of it.. We only camp in warm weather, so don't care about that feature..

When it gets cold, even in the summer nights, I've turned on the furnance, but the flanel sheets help a lot too... They do get a little warm on those hot nights, but I just adjust the amount of covers and go from there.

You need to be hooked up to 120v to run the mattress heater anyway, so I would just get the pad and then get an electric blanket if it gets that cold where you go..

Back in the 80's, I had a heated water bed, but turned down the heat on it in the summer time...

Anyway, I don't think the heated mattress will do much with a pad on top of it...

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your trade-in is used, so why not?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad