cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoke alarm

smiledr
Explorer
Explorer
This must be an easy fix but I am at a lost. Pulled our 2016 Navion Itasca out of storage to load up for our trip to Colorado and the smoke alarm is beeping every 20 seconds or so. I have replaced the 9v several times. It is hardwired with battery backup. No brand name that I can see anywhere. Reset circuit breakers. Still beeping. Any ideas?. Please.
smiledr
15 REPLIES 15

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
garyemunson wrote:
Stop by Home Depot/Lowes and just get the right thing. The ones with hard wires are standard home detectors. The only difference maybe the plug and every one I have bought comes with a plug that matches the new detector so you can change out the old plug if necessary. I'm pretty sure the heat and cold in a stored RV has a detrimental effect on detectors that, for the most part, expect to live in a climate controlled space. Myself, I don't mind having to replace them sooner than in a house (detectors should always be replace every 10 years) just to be safe.

I doubt HD and Lowes have hard wired 12 VOLT detectors. From the OP post, he did not state if it was 120 hard wired or 12 volt Hard wired. The only Hard Wired I have seen in RV's was 12 volt. Doug

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Stop by Home Depot/Lowes and just get the right thing. The ones with hard wires are standard home detectors. The only difference maybe the plug and every one I have bought comes with a plug that matches the new detector so you can change out the old plug if necessary. I'm pretty sure the heat and cold in a stored RV has a detrimental effect on detectors that, for the most part, expect to live in a climate controlled space. Myself, I don't mind having to replace them sooner than in a house (detectors should always be replace every 10 years) just to be safe.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is an indication of "I'm too old" as well as "Dead battery". Like others said. Get a new one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

smiledr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank for your help!
smiledr

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
pennysmom09 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
I find that hardwired smoke detectors are unnecessary and often PIA. Suggest you toss and buy an inexpensive battery operated combo fire/CO detector - you have to change the battery once a yr. No big deal.

I agree. We did this too after being annoyed by the hardwired one.

I also agree,my hardwired one failed and the replacement was not being made anymore.

After a lot of research I settled on This one change out the batteries once a year.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
I find that hardwired smoke detectors are unnecessary and often PIA. Suggest you toss and buy an inexpensive battery operated combo fire/CO detector - you have to change the battery once a yr. No big deal.

I agree. We did this too after being annoyed by the hardwired one.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked the voltage on the HARDWIRED battery wires at the detector. If you have LOST the 12 volts to the Detector, the beeping may indicate THAT and not the low power of a 9 volt battery when you have a 9 volt Battery ONLY detector. Doug

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The wires attached to the smoke detector are (almost certainly) short, maybe 6", pigtails, and are joined to the RV wiring in the wall or ceiling. You should be able to pull them enough to access the joints and detach there. In my RV they used wire nuts, taped to prevent them from working loose, for all those sorts of connections; but there are a few possible methods that could be done. (I know some will say that wire nuts are no good for RVs, but so far all the wire nut connections in mine have been trouble-free.)

As BB alludes to, make sure you insulate the loose wires somehow or another so they can't short out.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You can cut both wires. Just make sure you cut one, tape it, then cut and tape the other. Donโ€™t cut both at the same time with metal snips or they will short.

smiledr
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will buy a 9v one at big box until I get this one replaced. To disconnect from RV power do I cut the red wire?
smiledr

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it bit the dust. To silence, I have used one of the little elastic bowl covers or put plastic wrap on it. Not very safety wise... just what I have done .

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove backup battery and disconnect RV power. Not recommended unless you go to a big box store and buy 9v one for now.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

smiledr
Explorer
Explorer
Not what I wanted to hear the day before a trip. Any way to silence it until I get it replaced?
smiledr