Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PA Local income taxes?

Fulltimer_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

New here. Wife and I are looking into selling the house and moving to a campground. Anyone familiar with PA and the local income tax they have? What i understand is we would list the campground as our permanent address and we would need a PO box for mail. But do campers pay local income or is there some kind of exemption.

Thanks look forward to checking out other areas in the forums. Also sorry if this is the wrong spot.

Joe
8 REPLIES 8

DaniStone
Explorer
Explorer
300 K dollars a year is very good. I would not refuse such an income myself. If you answer the question, the owner of such income is rich or not, I think probably not. For me, wealth is a fortune in millions and a person who can afford everything. 300 thousand dollars, you can afford everything except paying taxes and mortgages. Clearly, this is not poverty. I strive for this level myself and do everything for it. In addition, I work as an accountant and this is my main job. I recently read that you can use side hustle ideas to earn more. I give my advice to those who need it. It is a great start, I think.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

why not look into establishing your domicile in TX or SD (SD would be my choice). very EZ to establish residency, change over driv lic and vehicle plstes. you should still be able to reside anywhere ...

Out of State plates will be draw attention by some neighborhood people who resent folks skirting taxes in their state and call LEO.
I was on temporary assignment to another state and that's what happened to me when the local PD knocked on my door. He was apologetic after our discussion.

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure your intended destination allows full-time living. I checked out a park model-only place that wouldn't allow you to use their address - and you had to prove residency elsewhere and needed to vacate a set period per year. All this to prevent the township from levying property tax I believe.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming that you are currently a PA resident, then moving to the campground would be no different than moving to another house, assuming that you intend to be permanent at the campground and not move about in the RV. Living in a RV in the harsh winter presents challenges that need to be seriously considered.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Kiplinger tax info for PA

Rob

didn't seem not tax friendly to me.
bumpy

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kiplinger tax info for PA

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Most, probably all, municipalities in PA require landlords to report anyone over 18, who is living in their properties. This would probably include campgrounds.
The local school districts also track down new residents.
If you're working there are no exemptions for campers/RVers. You're a PA resident. ๐Ÿ˜ž

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
if PA is going to be your legal residence you'll be paying their state tax.

why not look into establishing your domicile in TX or SD (SD would be my choice). very EZ to establish residency, change over driv lic and vehicle plstes. you should still be able to reside anywhere but check state law if PA will attempt to claim you to have established residency there by residing there for more than 6-mos.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle