Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to Purchase Lightweight Bunkhouse Model

LeeLou
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there!
I was looking for opinions/perspectives/experience/wisdom you guys might be able to offer lol
We're a young family (2 boys, 1 excessively large dog), currently looking at a KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH model. We'd be using it for towing during summer holidays/long weekends/hunting season. We don't mind getting a little squishy with each other, as it will be used primarily for sleeping/meal prep or the occasional rain day.
Any perspectives on brand reliability would be hugely appreciated, as would comparable/other recommended brands. I love the bunks, with the extra sleeping option of the dinette and the tub for quick clean ups of two dirt loving little boys. We currently drive a Honda Pilot with a tow capacity of 5000lbs.

Thanks in advance for any and all input ๐Ÿ™‚
7 REPLIES 7

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Currently heading to sleep in our 181BH, we've put 30k miles on her in 3.5 years. We've had 5 people in it for 3 weeks. I agree that the tanks are very, very small. Before that wasn't an issue as we'd just use the facilities at the campground like when we tent camped, with Covid it now means we have to get full hookups for anything more than a weekend trip, even holiday weekends as the wife won't go 3 days without a shower. I also agree it's very tight for bad weather days, one of the primary reasons we're looking at a bigger trailer now (plus since I only have a 1,100 square foot house the trailer is going to double as a home office).

That said my advice is to go for it, find out what you do and don't like about it and if you do like the whole RVing thing you can use the knowledge gained to inform your next purchase. I paid $12,500 out the door for mine, pretty cheap on a per mile basis ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
I had a Trail Lite Bantam 17' hybrid for a few years ...

A hybrid might be a good option for the OP !

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Trail Lite Bantam 17' hybrid for a few years that was towed with a minivan sometimes. It only had 25 fresh, 25 grey, 8 black (yes, 8!). But we could easily camp for a week in it. Just depends on your definitions of camping, and what you require.

The Bantam was nice because it had the fold down bunk ends that make it feel much larger, we were able to easily sleep 4, and 6 with kids sharing.

As to quality, I think KZ is probably as good as any manufacturer. You will quickly learn how to fix all manner of RV related things lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Water (fresh, black and gray) won't last more than a day or two at most. The 190BH has bigger tanks.

2 axles tows much nicer than 1 axle.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Think what your Pilot can CARRY (payload) as well as what it can PULL.

Those two kids are only going to get heavier as will the toys they want to bring camping. Bikes are a special issue...heavy!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
For you tow vehicle, that KZ seems like a good fit. We had an Apex Nano 193 BHS, which is a very similar floor plan. Our family is my wife and I, two young kids (5 and 3 at the time of purchase) and two large dogs - 85 lbs each.

One thing I notice about the KZ is no sink in the bathroom. That was a must for us - I didn't want my wife to be prepping a meal and someone to have to come wash their hands right there after using the bathroom.

The Nano lasted us a season and a half, mainly due to bad weather luck on trips. Being stuck inside all weekend in that small space could get rough, so we upgraded and I bought a truck. However, I wouldn't have done that if I wasn't certain that years of RV camping were in the cards for us.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You arenโ€™t going to doing much bathing with a 20 gallon fresh water tank. Are you comfortable washing hands and brushing teeth in the kitchen sink? One axle trailers....ugh! Less than a thousand pounds for cargo. After water, batteries, propane and some stuff youโ€™ll be at max.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad