Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar help requested

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
Any input based on experience ???

Looking at 24v solar panels and want input from you.

NewPowa 200w
Renology 300w
Sungold Power 200w
Solarland 190W

Im planning on Victron smart controller 100/50 and 2 BB 100ah liihium batteries.

The panels are the issue I have not settled on yet. his system will be growing as money becomes available.
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

Central Florida (East Coast)
13 REPLIES 13

Formaid
Explorer
Explorer
It should buy always local product or if there is service center available in your the nearest location.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
$100 from a local dealer:
Features:

20-year product warranty, 25-year linear power warranty from date of mfg.
PID resistant – limited power degradation of module caused by PID effect
120 half cell perc polycrystalline solar cells
Anodized aluminum frame
IP67 rated junction box with 3 bypass diodes and industry-standard connectors
Qualifies for IRS Solar Energy Tax Credits and rebates
Specifications:
Rated Power: 295W
Open circuit voltage (VOC): 38.9 V
Max power voltage (VMP): 32.3 V
Short circuit current (ISC): 9.80 A
Max power current: 9.14 A
Maximum system voltage: 1000V
Fuse Rating: 20A
IP67 Junction Box with bypass diodes and industry-standard solar connectors
Weight: 40.8
Dimensions: 65.9? x 39.25? x 1.5?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
I have chosen renology 300w 24v x2 for 600w 24v pannels

I have ordered the first two BB lithium 12v 100ah. And a victron 100/50 to match up to the bmv712. Keeping with the bluetooth compatibility.

I'm prewired for 30 amps roof to batteries

So now I sit wait and hope all goes well.

Thank you to all who have commented
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a DIY person differences in panel quality or warranty may not be as important as your picking up the panels to save shipping and if there is a panel issue down the road just replace the panel with possibly a different brand etc.

I had a future planned trip through LA and with a small diversion picked up my panels. That store which was very popular on this board no longer exists. Even if the mfg does exist the panels were rebranded (I knew this)... But no problem as I'm ONLY in year 5 of my 25 year warranty...:S

Of course one can just raise their CC but that's not me.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the past most solar panels were made in China and had a 25 year warranty. I was under no illusion that even 5 years later that getting a panel replaced for free was remote. Even if free and I have to ship them a panel - Check out what panel shipping costs. There were better quality panels and none of those are on the your list if they even exist.

The RV market for solar panels is very small compared to the home, business and utility markets. Check with solar installers and solar stores and see what you get.

Bob

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis

I agree, I am installing two of the solar panels. Would like input on the manufacturers presented as to quality and or reputation
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Battle Born are the "gold standard", but man are they expensive ! If money is an issue (isn't it always ?) consider starting out with a pair or four golf cart batteries.

That very much depends on where you live. I would not want to be as far north as South Dakota for LI year round. SiO2, to me, appear better in every category except for weight when compared to LI.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Battle Born are the "gold standard", but man are they expensive ! If money is an issue (isn't it always ?) consider starting out with a pair or four golf cart batteries.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Look at panel size, roof space and roof access. And $/watt and watts/sq ft. For those reasons I choose 60 cell panels vs 72 cell panels.

Smart move !

You might even want to go to an even smaller panel.

Industry Standard Panel vs 1st Step Solar Panel

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Consider SiO2 batteries at less than 50% of the cost of LI.

They can be run to stone bone dead 620 times. (not recommended, of course)

https://azimuthsolarproducts.com/product-category/batteries/ull/

Why limit yourself to 200 watt panels? I would buy the largest wattage that fits the available space.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the Renology panel option, you are “skinny” on watts. One watt per battery amp hour is the base minimum. If you are intending to “grow” your system, install adequately sized wire....the first time.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at panel size, roof space and roof access. And $/watt and watts/sq ft. For those reasons I choose 60 cell panels vs 72 cell panels.

And future additional panels. I don't need more but could add 2 more with a second controller.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My install is 3x250W in serial which also gives better shade output than parallel. Plus I mounted them higher off the roof to eliminate A/C shadows.

Bob