cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montrose or Glenwood Springs area

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at parks for 3-4 week stays for next summer. We are looking at Centennial Park south of Montrose, Colorado and/or Glenwood Springs Canyon near Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Does anyone have any knowledge of these parks? If so could you tell me why you would or wouldn’t choose to spend a few weeks in either. If you have a better suggestion in Colorado, please feel free to give me your opinion. We are looking for cool temps, good golf, fly fishing, hiking, medical, decent grocery shopping, and fun people. We have also looked at Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and Utah. We would love to hear any suggestions you might have thee as well. Thank you so much for your help.
12 REPLIES 12

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We just visited River Run at Granby last week. Brand new; lots of noisy construction still going on; absolutely no shade (and I know Granby gets warm because I spent 3 months there on a job); some paved, some gravel, pull-thru and back-in sites; rental Airstreams; a tiny home village; and right at the noisy intersection of US 40 and US 34. With the prices they are charging ($90+/night), I wouldn't stay there if they gave me a 50% discount. I would much rather stay at the USFS Stillwater campground on Lake Granby because River Run is still a significant drive to Lake Granby, Grand Lake, or Rocky Mountain NP!

Now that rant is out of the way, I'll add a few positive comments. Having lived in Colorado 57 years and my wife and I having worked all over the state, we have a few favorite areas that we keep going back to with the fifth wheel. One of them is Ridgway State Park, as mentioned by others. But, yes, it does have a 14-day limit. However, we mainly stay there in the fall color season to photograph Mt. Sneffles and Telluride. In that general area of the San Juans, we also enjoy Ouray, Dolores, and Durango, where one of our sons went to college.

We have stayed in a Glenwood Springs RV park for a club event, but would not stay there long term--too much train, as well as I-70, noise. We prefer to go south to the Gunnison-Crested Butte area--higher, usually cooler, and better fishing. The Gunnison River, Taylor River, and Blue Mesa Reservoir have some of the best trout fishing in Colorado. From there, you can easily visit Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and Lake City; take a boat trip through the Black Canyon on Morrow Point Reservoir; go whitewater rafting; rent an OHV and drive it over Cumberland, Pearl, or Schofield Pass; take a picnic lunch to ghost towns like Ruby, Irwin, Tincup, or Powderhorn; "track" abandoned narrow-gauge railroads to the Alpine Tunnel, over Marshall Pass, or up Ohio Creek; and visit the CPW's Roaring Judy Fish Hatchery. However, not being a golfer, I have no idea how the golf courses are there.

We love the scenery in the Lake City area in fall, too, but not long term. It is no longer a Colorado town. Hinsdale County is "Little Texas" where nearly every shop, cafe, motel, RV park, and OHV-snowmobile rental/sales dealer is owned and operated by Texans. That may not be a disadvantage to you, but I know of no golf courses there either.

You might want to add the Steamboat Springs area to your "research list" too. It has enough elevation to stay cool, enough population to support medical facilities, and a ski area to provide upscale amenities (restaurants, golf, hot springs pools and spas, gondola and hot air balloon rides, summer festivals, etc.). It also has whitewater rafting; hiking to scenic waterfalls; boat, canoe, and kayak rentals; and good fishing at Steamboat, Stagecoach, and Pearl Lake and Yampa River state parks.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Centennial RV is very nice and lots of things to do in that area. Montrose has plenty of eating places also. Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Escalante wilderness, Grand Mesa, Telluride and Ouray are some places to visit. We will be there again in 2 weeks. I have played 2 nice courses there at Divide Ranch golf club near Ridgeway and The Bridges In Montrose.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Fun Valley is the most crowded sardine can RV Park I've ever seen.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
You stated "We are looking for cool temps, good golf, fly fishing, hiking, medical, decent grocery shopping, and fun people." Have you looked at Fun Valley near South Fork, Colorado. It's 8500'. Lots of nice people, some young and some not so young. Private park with most everything you wish is very close or less than 1 hr away. Check it out online. August is a great time. COVID-19 has been an issue for just about every RV park this year. They have a good Facebook site that shows lots of the park and things to do. Good luck and have a great time.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
A place I like in the area is in Ouray called Ouray Rv Park and Cabins. Full hookups several types of sites. I prefer the extra wide riverfront ones but have stayed in others. The facilities are nice. Walking distance to the hot springs and town.
Not connected with the rv park is a nice river walkway on both sides of the river a couple bridges to get across to the other side if wanted that runs along the river behind the park literally out your door if you are on a river front site otherwise 200ft max to get to it
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
For Ridgway, you can't make a reservation until you're 6 months out from your dates.

The Sun Resort park in Granby is River Run. I haven't stayed there yet, it just opened towards the end of last summer. I think it's popular with the family crowds as a lot of their stuff seems to be geared towards families. But, the location is good, and it looks like a nice park. Biggest negative I've seen is the lack of trees, but that's due to how new it is.

Another spot to check, assuming you have a newer rig, is Tiger Run in Breckenridge. It's a little pricey, but they do a monthly rate. They just do not accept RVs/campers older than 20 years.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your suggestions, we will check out the parks in Montrose and forget Glenwood, for the time being. Have long wanted to stay at Ridgeway, but unfortunately with so many folks traveling in RVs, I haven’t been able to find a site. That being said, I think you can only stay 2 weeks in a state park and we are thinking we’ll pick 3 places to stay long term next summer, most likely a month in each. There’s also a Sun Resort park in Granby that we would also like to visit. I forgot about it in my original post. Does anyone have any experience with it?

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
If you choose Montrose look at Cedar Creek RV PK nice and clean with plenty of shade as it will be warm in the summer.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I would choose Montrose over Glenwood personally. However both are at just over 5k elevation so it isnt going to be real cool during the day. For Montrose you might head south just a bit to Ridgeway State Park (less than 20 miles) they have many sites with full hookups assuming it isn't booked solid and it is about 7k elevation so should be cooler than Montrose or Glenwood. Ridgeway is close enough for day trips to Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, Black Canyon. Plenty of hiking and fishing in the area. I know there is golf around just not sure how much or how good.

Previous poster mentioned Pagosa Springs probably the coolest of the areas brought up so far, certainly fishing and hiking around they do have a course never played it so cant say if it is good or not, not to mention the hot springs.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

KansasBill
Explorer
Explorer
In Montrose, I’d avoid the Montrose – San Juan RV Resort
https://www.rvtravel.com/eviction959/
Bill
2012 Ram 2500HD Crewcab, 6.7L Cummins, 6spd auto, short bed, 4WD
2006 HitchHiker II LS 28.5 RLBG two slides
Reese 16K Fifth Wheel hitch w/Kwik-Slide

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have stayed at Centennial in Montrose and liked it. It is close to everything you are interested in. Sites are roomy. The park is close to the highway but traffic is not as bad as I70 will be. Staff was friendly and helpful.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in Colorado for 23 years and traveling the state on business every week, I would pick Montrose area. Both areas have the golf, fishing, medical, and shopping you ask for.

The main difference is TRAFFIC!! In Glenwood, you are right on I-70 with constant traffic noise from semis, RVs, and other usual vehicles. You also have to get on and off I-70 to get around in Glenwood.

Montrose is much more relaxing and also has many good restaurant options. It is easy to get around and offers a better variety of day trips...in any direction.
There are also a couple of excellent fly shops downtown to help you if you need it.

As for the RV park, I cannot say as the only one I ever stayed at was in Montrose before it became a KOA. There are two south of town and I don't recall which is Centennial. One looked much more appealing than the other.

The only RV park I recall in Glenwood was not one I would want to stay in because it was sitting on I-70.

You asked for better suggestions so I would suggest you consider Pagosa Springs. We had a place there and always enjoyed it with excellent scenery, fishing, etc. It has all of the things you mentioned, plus is always cooler than Montrose or Glenwood.

Have fun wherever you go!!