Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: sat dish
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > sat dish

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/03/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dish portable auto aims, point the handle to the North. When in a treed area I use the phone app from Winegard: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.winegard.finder&hl=en_US


2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold


Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/03/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Dish Playmaker offered by Dish, no longer need to be pointed north. The Tailgater has conflicting instructions about positioning north. The Winegard App will not run on my iPhone and has poor reviews. I use SatFinder Lite and it works fine.





Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/03/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

The Dish Playmaker offered by Dish, no longer need to be pointed north. The Tailgater has conflicting instructions about positioning north. The Winegard App will not run on my iPhone and has poor reviews. I use SatFinder Lite and it works fine.


Pretty darn clear to me: Set up your Tailgater, Pathway, or Playmaker. Take the guesswork out of setting up your DISH portable antenna. Place your portable antenna outside on flat, level ground. Make sure it has a clear line of sight of the southern sky and ensure the coax ports point north.

The Android phone app works excellent for OTA & Sat. It works with all sat systems and in AR view I can look at the sky with the phone & see the sats. If my phone sees them so will my antenna & I know exactly where to place it if I'm in trees. Have no idea how the Apple app works as I wouldn't purchase an over priced propitiatory anything, but that's just me. Don't have a lot of experience setting up being 3/4 time and 10-12K a year in my RV, experience Vs reading some article.

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 02/17/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/03/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had the DISH Tailgater for 3 years. It works ok, unless it's raining hard.
We decided to get a roof mounted dish antenna. I researched a lot and decided on the Eagle TV Automatic Antenna System It's user serviceable and can be converted from Dish to Direct tv easily.

KEN

[image]

[image]


I (2-10-05) bought a 2002 F350 CC SWD PSD and a new 2003 Citation 10'8. I have been a tent camper all my life. I wanted more comfort while camping and CraterLake Ski Patrol.
It's time for more space. I purchased a 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015.

lee worsdell

elmvale

Senior Member

Joined: 01/31/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/04/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have dish here in Canada I put it up on roof of the trailer or can move it around to get signal. My buddy has his on the roof and some times cant get signal because of trees

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/04/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

The Dish Playmaker offered by Dish, no longer need to be pointed north. The Tailgater has conflicting instructions about positioning north. The Winegard App will not run on my iPhone and has poor reviews. I use SatFinder Lite and it works fine.


Pretty darn clear to me: Set up your Tailgater, Pathway, or Playmaker. Take the guesswork out of setting up your DISH portable antenna. Place your portable antenna outside on flat, level ground. Make sure it has a clear line of sight of the southern sky and ensure the coax ports point north.

The Android phone app works excellent for OTA & Sat. It works with all sat systems and in AR view I can look at the sky with the phone & see the sats. If my phone sees them so will my antenna & I know exactly where to place it if I'm in trees. Have no idea how the Apple app works as I wouldn't purchase an over priced propitiatory anything, but that's just me. Don't have a lot of experience setting up being 3/4 time and 10-12K a year in my RV, experience Vs reading some article.


On the Dish website there are two different sets of instructions for the Tailgator, one mentions the north and the other does not. My Playmaker has no such requirement.

The reviews on the Winegard app mentions the exact problem I am having. The Apple app should work exactly the same as the one for cheap phones, but it crashes. The SatFinder app works well.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/04/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ORbiker wrote:

We have had the DISH Tailgater for 3 years. It works ok, unless it's raining hard.
We decided to get a roof mounted dish antenna. I researched a lot and decided on the Eagle TV Automatic Antenna System It's user serviceable and can be converted from Dish to Direct tv easily.

KEN

[image]

[image]



Thats a great setup, but was talked out of it by the dealer. He asked me one simple question do you camp in the trees, and the answer was yes . I have had to move my portable dish a few times , or cut a few branches off if its allowed.

My advice to anyone , if you are going with a permanent roof mount dish ,you better be in the wide open spaces ,and not in trees or where there is something to block the signal.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/04/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

The Dish Playmaker offered by Dish, no longer need to be pointed north. The Tailgater has conflicting instructions about positioning north. The Winegard App will not run on my iPhone and has poor reviews. I use SatFinder Lite and it works fine.


Pretty darn clear to me: Set up your Tailgater, Pathway, or Playmaker. Take the guesswork out of setting up your DISH portable antenna. Place your portable antenna outside on flat, level ground. Make sure it has a clear line of sight of the southern sky and ensure the coax ports point north.

The Android phone app works excellent for OTA & Sat. It works with all sat systems and in AR view I can look at the sky with the phone & see the sats. If my phone sees them so will my antenna & I know exactly where to place it if I'm in trees. Have no idea how the Apple app works as I wouldn't purchase an over priced propitiatory anything, but that's just me. Don't have a lot of experience setting up being 3/4 time and 10-12K a year in my RV, experience Vs reading some article.


On the Dish website there are two different sets of instructions for the Tailgator, one mentions the north and the other does not. My Playmaker has no such requirement.

The reviews on the Winegard app mentions the exact problem I am having. The Apple app should work exactly the same as the one for cheap phones, but it crashes. The SatFinder app works well.


Maybe you need a cheap Android works well with the Winegaurd app, no crashes. Apple is like driving a Lincoln truck, flashy but not much use working.

topjimmy

Washington Coast

Senior Member

Joined: 06/19/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/04/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dish Tailgater pay as you go here for about 6 years and yes what was said above the directions are confusing for which is the front is as it shows the handle being aimed South in the instructions I tried that when I first got it and it would not work untill A guy in the Resort told me the Handle is the BACK of the tailgater so I turned it around and Bam! been enjoying it ever since and also I just put mine on the ground or on my roof if a big RV parks next to me blocking my Southern Sky I don't need no sticking Tripod[emoticon] and I have never used a APP to find Satellites Up here in the NW I just aim it a little SE and good to go[emoticon]


2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 2500HD GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 02/17/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/04/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

ORbiker wrote:

We have had the DISH Tailgater for 3 years. It works ok, unless it's raining hard.
We decided to get a roof mounted dish antenna. I researched a lot and decided on the Eagle TV Automatic Antenna System It's user serviceable and can be converted from Dish to Direct tv easily.

KEN

[image]

[image]



Thats a great setup, but was talked out of it by the dealer. He asked me one simple question do you camp in the trees, and the answer was yes . I have had to move my portable dish a few times , or cut a few branches off if its allowed.

My advice to anyone , if you are going with a permanent roof mount dish ,you better be in the wide open spaces ,and not in trees or where there is something to block the signal.


I kept our Dish Tailgater just in case the trees give us problems. So far, so good.
With the roof antenna, the Dish Hopper works like at home and the recording can happen, then the commercials are gone (zipped thru). KEN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > sat dish
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.