Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: travel trailer towing difficulty
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> travel trailer towing difficulty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
2freelife

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm ready to upgrade from a 19ft travel trailer to a 26ft. I'm going to live in it for 5 or so months at a time. I have a 1 ton diesel truck so that's not a problem. I'm just wondering how much more difficult it will be to tow, & back up. Are some distribution hitches better than others? I've looked at Jayco, Grand Design & Couger so far. I will be very appreciative of any information, & recommendations

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can back a 19' TT you won't have any problem with a 26'.

2freelife

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can back in my 19ft well. My 19ft tows beautiful, and tracks wonderful behind my truck. I was wondering if a longer trailer would be more skittish, wobbly, or would tow just as well behind a 1 ton diesel. Also wondering which distributions hitch would be recommended. Thanks for any advice

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People all have their different opinions on hitches, but I always recommend that one goes with one of the more proven manufacturers - especially if you are going to tow for any distance. We have an EQ that we've been using for 10 years and have been very happy with it.

As for towing, weight clearly should not be a problem. I don't think you'll see a huge change going from 19 to 26. With the exception of needing to be a bit more selective in gas stations at times (something you are likely already accustomed to with a Diesel), just watch your increased tailswing and cornerin-angle and you'll be fine. From a handling perspective, you won't even notice.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of tongue weight are you looking at with that 26 ft trailer? Why on earth do you think you need to richard around with WDH on a ton truck?

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just being aware that your pulling a trailer, you won't notice 7 feet much unless you were uncomfortable with 19 feet. Lol

A camping buddy of mine pulls a 30ft trailer with 1-ton Cummins , no WDH.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No wdh needed. It will probably tow the same.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Why on earth do you think you need to richard around with WDH on a ton truck?

Because of all of the fear spread around like bovine material blindly following the fear mongers like a bunch of wimpy and mindless "lemmings" on this forum and many other forums like this one.

Fear like "your gonna kill someone" if you do not use WD..

Fear like it is a "required safety item".

Fear like "your gonna overload your vehicle".

Fear like you "you will have sway without WD".

Fear like "you won't like the ride without WD".

Not EVERY TV and trailer combo "needs" WD and when you buy up to the "big boys" platform WD really becomes less of a help and some cases may result in a poor handling situation.

WD was originally designed to to help folks tow much heavier trailers than what their vehicle would have been capable if solely relying on only the capacity of the rear axle..

There is no law anywhere which states one MUST use WD, it is up to the owner of said combination to determine IF it is needed.

Got enough cargo capacity, enough front and rear axle capacity, not much reduction of the front axle, you might be a candidate to try a test tow without WD.

As long as you keep 13%-15% weight on the trailer tongue AND you have a TV that is very capable it will tow stable.

And for the record, I do not have a "1 ton", nope, do have 3/4 ton and I have about 3500 lbs of available cargo weight on my TV and a 26ft TT with just under 950 lbs fully loaded.. No, I do not use WD.

No, have not died, have not killed anyone, have not been in an accident, have not had issues with sway and it is a rather comfortable tow.

I have had to make several major avoidance maneuvers over the years which required stomping on the brakes while cruising at 70 MPH to avoid deer that ran out in front of me.. Kept complete control of the entire rig the entire time avoiding the deer, avoiding fellow motorists and never went off the road or crossed lines in the process..

Don't think the outcome would have been good if I was relying on a lighter vehicle and WD.. I will take the heavier vehicle..

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay away from Cougar unless you want constant trouble because of NO quality control.

RICK-ards Red

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too upgraded from a 17 foot TT to a 26 foot TT, no issues with towing, you will not notice the difference. For the WD why not get what the dealer recommends as it would match the trailer..no?

2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> travel trailer towing difficulty
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.