Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Tow Bar Age
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tow Bar Age

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was given a Blue Ox 10,000lb tow bar by my neighbor. They full-timed for 7 years, then it sat in their garage for 6 or 7 years. Everything appears to be in working order. No binding, and the arms extend smoothly and lock. I emailed Blue Ox to see if they would refurb it for me (just to be on the safe side), and they said no, they recommend replacement after 8-10 years so I need to buy a new one. So who out there is using an older tow bar, and have you had any issues? Should I just buy a new one? Thoughts?

Al

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RoadMaster Sterling All-Terrain was purchased new in 2009 and I see no issues with the age, everything is tight and works smoothly in fact we are hitting the road Wednesday for two weeks.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed with one several years and it was still strong as a dollar. It did get scratched and loose. I found another in Tennessee a guy was wanting to sell and started using it. A friend bought a MH and knew nothing about towing. I gave him the old one. Danged if he didn't sell the MH within a few months and the Blue Ox with it.

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am still using the same Demco Commander tow bar that I bought in 2008. It's still tight and sound. I recently had a machine shop friend of mine magnaflux all the welds and no problems were found. The reason Blue Ox says their tow bars need replacing is because they are aware of the build quality and want to sell you a new one.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had and used our Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain for about 10 years. Bought it used from an acquaintance who I think used it 3 years or so. Took it to Roadmaster to be refurbished (for a fee) about 3 years ago with no questions asked about age. I'm surprised that Blue Ox won't do that.

Maybe you could find an experienced RV repair shop or mobile RV tech that knows how to refurb or at least look it over for safety.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends a lot on how heavy the vehicle was that it towed. Extend the arms and see how much free play they have. If there is considerable play you will have to replace the arms or junk it. eTrailer sells replacement arms for some of the blue ox models.

If there is little to no free play in the arms when extended you should be good to tow.

If it looks like the plastics washers and bushings need replaced you can order the rebuild kit and do it yourself.

I have towed close to 200,000 miles with one ..,it was rebuilt twice.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Roadmaster Stowmaster is nearly 20 years old. Roadmaster serviced it and then rebuilt it. They charged $100 for complete rebuild.
Some Blue ox units are fairly easy to service. Finding parts maybe issue. Many show on Amazon.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't you think the manufacture would know their bars - Replace it -

They are a highly reputable company with a great support history - Trust them not some guys you asked for advise from a internet forum- I have had three great experiences with Blue Ox over the past 10 years

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
374 Campgrounds,85K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1858 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manufacturer is saying replace. Why don’t you believe them?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

Don't you think the manufacture would know their bars - Replace it -

They are a highly reputable company with a great support history - Trust them not some guys you asked for advise from a internet forum- I have had three great experiences with Blue Ox over the past 10 years

These bars don’t wear out setting around. I had blue ox tell me the same thing “buy a new one”. You would think they would ask how many miles it’s been used and how heavy a vehicle it towed.

I had a 10,000 lb rated towbar and towed a light Nissan Frontier pickup. Tow bar was very solid yet at 100,000 miles. I also towed a 3/4 ton Dodge 4wd diesel with a brand new Avanti II 10,000 lb rated bar for 35,000 miles. Tow bar was wore out.

The circumstances make a big difference.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tow Bar Age
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.