Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2020 Jayco 36FTBS grey water sewer smell in trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2020 Jayco 36FTBS grey water sewer smell in trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fsch5748

Usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question
Our trailer develops a strong odor with grey tank less than full!
We’ve tried everything to eliminate with no success.
Was told trailer has ventless system but cannot locate it!
Anybody else have same issue?

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the air admittance valve (usually under bathroom sink) is bad.
AA Valve
We put the same chemicals in our grey tank as the black tank in warm weather.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep look under the sinks and you'll spot a vertical stub sticking up from the drain pipe just after the P trap. Unscrew the valve by hand and replace it. There are better ones, but the one you have is probably $7 from Home Depot.
Link

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably the air admittance valve. Just replace with cheap Home Depot one. The extreme heat and cold in an RV during storage ruins them, cheap or expensive. Tear your old one apart and you will see why. In a house they live an easier life.

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect that the tank vent pipe (the pipe that comes down from the roof into the top of the tank) may have slipped down OR is installed to deep into the tank.
The pipe should terminate just inside the top of the tank. If it is installed to deeply into the tank, then once the fluid level covers the end of the pipe it is no longer effective. This is also not good for the tank when dumping as it will cause the tank to crush when draining until the fluid level gets below the vent pipe.
In this situation, what happens when water enters the tank the air has to escape. If the vent pipe is submersed then the air will come out of the admittance valves mentioned above emitting odors into the coach.
Pay attention to exactly when you start to notice the odor. If its before its full, I suspect it is defiantly the tank vent pipe. If so, as long as the top of the tank is accessible its not a difficult fix.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just from personal experience, you may want to make sure the trap for the clothes washer as water in it, if you have one. We recently had an odor that we had difficulty identifying the source. That's what it was. Hope this helps.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Fsch5748

Usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good info! Have been unable to locate vent! Nothing visible under any sinks! Chased pipes into cargo area. One pipe turn up and I think is vent! Nothing visible from roof! Removed cap and odor was slight! Washer dryer is in front of trailer! Odor comes distinctly from kitchen area! Will continue to chase down problem! All replies are welcomed! Together we will solve this
Thanks

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As was said above I had that problem in my 2012 and could not figure it out then a person at an RV resort told me it could be stagnant water in your hot/cold washer lines so I hooked a hose to each side and ran then for a few a that did the trick[emoticon]

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 2500HD GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fsch5748 wrote:

All good info! Have been unable to locate vent! Nothing visible under any sinks! Chased pipes into cargo area. One pipe turn up and I think is vent! Nothing visible from roof! Removed cap and odor was slight! Washer dryer is in front of trailer! Odor comes distinctly from kitchen area! Will continue to chase down problem! All replies are welcomed! Together we will solve this
Thanks

Are you saying there is not tank vent on the roof? The majority of manufacturers provide a vent stack for each tank. You should have at least one vent stack on the roof. Lets determine that.

Fsch5748

Usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Located roof vents no visible blockage and minimal odor!
I’m inclined to think vent pipe extends into holding tank to far!
Odor gets stronger as tank fills!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2020 Jayco 36FTBS grey water sewer smell in trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.