cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery question

mamaw56
Explorer
Explorer
When you're traveling does the alternator charge the house batteries?
We have a 2001 Mountain High Coachworks Pinnacle. We were wondering if when we are driving the motorhome are the house batteries being charged by the alternator. Thought Iโ€™d elaborate since some were not understanding my question.
17 REPLIES 17

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Get a digital multimeter and check for yourself, Every RV owner should have one and know how to use it.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does the engine alternator charge the house batteries.
Well.. on motor homes it is supposed to.

How to tell if it does (The easy way)
Unplug. Turn on an inside light. .Note illilumination level
Start engine.. it may take a minute or two but does light suddenly get brighter? IF SO then YES. That simple no test gear needed.

IF Light does NOT get brighter.. Two posibilities
1 Some LED's won't (Option is the fantastic fab or max air fab will run faster)

Second if nothing changes within 3 minutes of starting engine.. PROBLEM exists seek help from someone familiar with shooting tribbles.

(Believe it or not I had to tell David Gerrold how he "Took a dump" on James T Kirk. he'd forgotten).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, there ya have it! Polls show most, but maybe not all, do charge both battery banks while traveling. Most should but may not charge them either. So, in answer to your question, yours may or may not charge both battery banks while traveling. Thanks for your question....:B:B:B.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mamaw56 wrote:
We have a 2001 Mountain High Coachworks Pinnacle. We were wondering if when we are driving the motorhome are the house batteries being charged by the alternator. Thought Iโ€™d elaborate since some were not understanding my question.

To make it easier to state it. 99 44/100 of motorhomes built in the past 40 years charge both battery banks. BUT, some, like the 1970/80/early90 Winne/Itasca motorhomes had a dash switch called Dual/MOM that HAD to be in the DUAL indent for the coach batteries to charge while driving. There are some (very few) that had this type system. MOST have an Automatic system that charges both battery banks. The main rule of thumb is, if yours IS NOT, there is a malfunction of the dual charging system and really needs to be fixed. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
crawford wrote:
I don't have a line but I did have a Winnebago 02 99 fleet wood and now a Georgetown 34 none did and need a kit.

Both Winnebago and the FR Georgetown DO charge both battery banks when driving. The fact that your 2 did NOT, just means your 2 motorhomes BOTH had a malfunction of the charging system. VERY RARE to have you own 2 that both had the same malfunction. The ONLY Class A motorhome that I am aware of that unbelievably did not charge both battery banks was the original Alfa motorhome(not the gold). After the first year Alfa changed the design to charge. Alfa never gave me a reason why they did that originally. Doug

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
In my case the engine does technically charge the house battery, but not significantly. I run the generator while driving if it really needs a charge.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Yes, it provides some recharging.

Maybe, depending on how it is wired.

Lwiddis wrote:
Donโ€™t depend on it to fully recharge a depleted battery. Solar is the answer...charges driving or sitting.

If you don't want to go solar ate least install a DC-DC battery charger.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes virtually all RVs are designed to have the house battery charging from the alternator. Trailers, fifth wheels, class A B C, ALL of them.

Good time to get out your voltmeter and verify the operation of the charging system. Engine off, not plugged in, the house battery s/b 12.2 to 12.7 volts. Start the engine and house battery voltage should pop up to 13 to 14 volts range. Post your results for best comments.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a line but I did have a Winnebago 02 99 fleet wood and now a Georgetown 34 none did and need a kit.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
mamaw56 wrote:

3/4 of coach's haven't the means to do it that's why there are so many after markets kits out there for this purpose.

Please provide a link to a motorhome that does NOT charge both chassis and house batteries from the alternator.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
mamaw56 wrote:

3/4 of coach's haven't the means to do it that's why there are so many after markets kits out there for this purpose.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
MH or towable, yes, they are supposed to.

The question is what is the condition of the system and is it properly designed. If you have little 16 gauge wires running 30-40ft with poorly made corroded connections, don't expect much of any charging to happen.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing the OP is talking about the Class A motorhome in their profile.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Correct. All motorhomes are built (no idea if the electrical system is still functioning and/or has been modified by a previous owner) for the alternator to charge both chassis and house battery banks.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/