Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Solar panel extension wires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar panel extension wires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Katdaddy

Petal, MS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a solar panel to help extend our batteries when dry camping. The wires provided with the panel are very short. I would appreciate recommendations for where to find extensions of 20 to 30 feet.

Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any properly sized wire will work unless the set you purchased as proprietary connections. Amps produced and wire distance determines wire size.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming the panels have MC4 connectors you can get what you need on Amazon. Just search "MC4 extension" or similar. Single panel #12 wire should be fine. The extension will have a connector on each end. Cut it in half and use the connectors on the panel and the cut ends to the controller or add clamps or terminals as needed.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home Depot even sells them with the MC4 connectors, although you may have to order them.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many watts are the panels? Voltage?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a friend who used a household outdoor extension cord to run to the panels. Very small wire gauge, very wrong for the application, but it did bring power from the panel to the camper somehow. He probably lost a lot of charging power because it was too small and too long of a wire.
It works much better with thicker wire and shorter, short as possible, length of wire, but is not rocket science.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assumming the panel is something around 100-200 Watts, go get a 12ga or 10ga extension cord of the length you want, cut the ends off, put on MC4 connectors on one end and whatever connector is needed at the trailer end. Since you don't need a ground, parallel the ground conductor with one of the other conductors to reduce overall resistance. Two 12ga wires in parallel = One 10ga wire. two 10's = one 8. I've found extension cords are less expensive than buying same gauge wire to make my own.

I have around 500W of portable solar so in parallel it's near 30A. my solution was to salvage some 30A RV cords to make extension cords.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The chart above is good info, but going larger will cut the system losses.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 120 panels are 12 ga and the PO used 12ga extensions for a few feet to the j box on the roof and then 6ga down to the controller. I redid everything on the roof before I recoated it last year and I pulled on one of the the ext. connectors a little bit and out came the wire. I check all of them and another one came apart. The wires weren't pushed into the pins all the way before they were crimped. I cut out all the connectors and extensions and used 10ga thhn in hard pipe all the way to the j box and soldered everything. I won't have to worry about any of that again! Craig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar panel extension wires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.