cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A Tire Recommendation

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for class A tires for my 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34B. Unfortunately my RV with 25k miles already needs tires. It is at Ford dealership for a general checkup. Dealership says it needs tie rods and king pins for front end along with 6 new tires ($2,900 w/out cost of tires). I have noticed that the tires are wearing on the outsides edges so I wasn't surprised. However, I am surprised all this work for a 2014 already. Dealership says the Goodyears that are on there now are $668 a piece. I am a FMCA member and they have Hancock, Continental and Michelin ranging from $305 to $430. Any thoughts?
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b
20 REPLIES 20

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
PCronin68 wrote:
Looking for class A tires for my 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34B. Unfortunately my RV with 25k miles already needs tires. It is at Ford dealership for a general checkup. Dealership says it needs tie rods and king pins for front end along with 6 new tires ($2,900 w/out cost of tires). I have noticed that the tires are wearing on the outsides edges so I wasn't surprised. However, I am surprised all this work for a 2014 already. Dealership says the Goodyears that are on there now are $668 a piece. I am a FMCA member and they have Hancock, Continental and Michelin ranging from $305 to $430. Any thoughts?

1. Most vehicle dealers aren't that good at dealing with issues on Motor homes. I'd only use them for warranty issues with the chassis. Beyond an oil change or lube service, I'd have an independent do the work. You'll want to find a local shop that specializes in large vehicle service. You may want to check with your nearby independent RV service shop for a recommendation. The independent RV mechanic, the ones that deal with the house, will be able to direct you to a service shop that they trust when the issue they are trying to fix isn't related to the house. You'll know you've found the right shop when they have decent online reviews and when you notice that they have a number of motor homes in the lot that are scheduled for service. Plus, an independent shop that services motor homes will always be properly equipped to do so; the large, heavy duty lifts, large service bays, etc.

2. Any major brand of tires which are specifically for motor homes should be just fine. There are lots of decent brands. For my cars I lean toward Michelin, but the tires for your motor home are going to be more commercial or heavy duty in nature. Other brands could be very acceptable. Hankook tires are good, Korean brand. They tend to be very aggressive in terms of price, but the quality is high for the price point. Given the option, I'd probably go with Michelin, but that aligns with my biases for passenger car tires. I'm currently running tires from Les Schwab on my RV because they often times are the easiest and quickest to get into and their shops all handle large vehicles pretty easily. The tires they sell are decent, but Schwab is known for their warrant and after sale service, so, a lot of people go there for the after sale support vs. the great tire performance.

I hope you had a good outcome on the mechanical issues.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
I would get a second opinion on the front end work. unless you have been abusing it, I don't see an F53 needing tie rods and king pins at such low miles. especially on something that is used mostly on highways.

As far as tires....just shop around. Ive heard good things with the Hankooks.

I went with Toyo on my Workhorse. No complaint. The thing about Toyo's v/s say Michelin Toyos do not last as many miles.. But on an RV that is almost never the reason for tire replacement (miles) YEARS is the reason most RV tires get replaced. So why waste money on the HIGH MILLAGE tires when you can save money and the tread will never wear out.

Page 2: Ford Dealers
Wife had a Mercury Tracer.. It was running rough (Will tell why) took it to local Ford Dealer for tune up (not help) and later said Diagnose and repair.. They told me the fuel pump was leaking. I ask to look, sure enough there was evidence of a leak at the top of tank where the hose connects to the pump outlet.. FRESH leak, no evidence that it was leaking when I pulled in.. 300 to replace the hose they punctured and the dealer is now padlocked by the State of Michigan (Hey. not a good idea to rip off a police dispatcher who is friends with the Secretary of State Investigator).

Oh. the rough running.. Part of a Tune Up on that car is replacing the spark plugs and the wires.. They did not replace the wires.. I finally did and varroom no problem.

I normally dealt with a Chevy dealer (My car was a chevy) and never had that kind of problem there. DID have one problem.. Well two. but one they took care of it. no questions asked, and the other one.. Well.. I did not pay for it so no rip-off. (They simply did not know how to fix it.. I finally figured it out and it got fixed).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Like several others, I replaced my OEM Michelins at five and a half years....will never buy them again. I have Continentals on the front and Toyos on the rear. Both were cheaper and will last longer.
2014 American Eagle

Bruce_Brown
Did you do the front end work?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky1320 wrote:
PCronin68 wrote:
Went with 6 new Michelins through FMCA for $357 a piece.

That's an insane price on those. I was quoted $583. Is this a 22.5" tire?

They were 19.5 and I used the FMCA discount

ctneal
Explorer
Explorer
We need to purchase new tires for Class A and looking for suggestions on where to order/buy a full set. And of course, installation.

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
PCronin68 wrote:

That's an insane price on those. I was quoted $583. Is this a 22.5" tire?
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
goodyears are notorious for rivering. I did front end alignment no improvement. After three rotaions the tires were 5 years old and i junked them. went with hankooks no problems so it was not the coach it was the tires.
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

Not applicable
Toyo tires. I replaced my 6 on my 22kLb. f53 Bago Sightseer for $2600 cash installed out the door 275 x 22.5โ€™s. I shop around for everything. The diff from my oe Michelinโ€™s to this were microscopic, except for the price. $800/difference.

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the past 20 years I have run Toyo and Sumitoma and have been happy with both of them. I shopped around for best price but have never used Hankook although I have heard good things about them. Just put on 6 new Sunitomas for $1860.00 out the door so I believe, if you shop around, you can find a better deal on tires.

As far as the tie rods and other front end work, I would recommend another shop for evaluation. Back in the day I drove a 1999 Bounder 68,000 miles without any front end work. Just sayin. Best to you in your quest. Happy travels. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run to another shop... GY are noted for edge wear. Iโ€™ve had good service from Hankook on my DP.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
A second opinion is needed, it is unrealistic for a six year old vehicle with 25,000 miles to need kingpins, etc.

X2 I was told the same thing a few years ago. Got a second opinion from a workhorse shop. Told me I had a blown shock and needed a good wheel alignment. I had them do the work and problem solved.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Your 2014 is 6-7 years old and that is the life of RV tires. I used FMCA for my tires a few times. Great deals
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford