cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firearms to Alaska

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Well we have time right now, the new 4457 forms are out and customs is not that busy. So, planning for next year, why not get the 4457 done? Form fill and call up your local, or not so local, customs man/woman and make an appointment. Help me investigate the possibilities:

Long guns: Take them with you, US https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Sep/CBP%20Form%204457.pdf and for Canada https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf , at $25 Canadian this is a great deal. The rules are on the form. Based on a 2019 moose hunt it is smooth and professional at the border. This is my favorite and the lowest cost option. You can also mail or ship from you to you with love, with or without the help of an FFL holder. However, it will cost you more. Take your time and do your research.

Pistols and revolvers: Now we have crossed the Rubicon. From what I can read, forget taking it with you. Itโ€™s legal, but unless you are a competitive shooter and can line up a match in Yukon, not likely. So you can ship it with the help of an FFL on the far end, find a pro on the net, and follow their directions exactly. You might save some money using an FFL on both ends and shipping US mail, however without the FFL on the lower 48 end you must use a private shipper and premium service. Fairly expensive, unless you get a discount!!

The last way, just to be contrary and save money. Buy an 80% frame, suitable for your needs. The 80% frame, jig, end mill, bits, slide, barrel, mags, (they will sell it all in a kit), bullets (not cartridges), brass, Lee hand press, dies, and all go into a medium, or large flat rate box. Mail it to yourself, or have a friend drop it in the mail. It is not a gun, until you touch the frame with a tool. The catch, you need a table top drill press and a cross slide vice and a rainy afternoon. However, since I have room in the basement and I am at 17% on my pin, this is a viable option. According to the Canadian border folks I spoke with and their website, you may import limited amounts of power and primers; I would expect a search however. You could also buy the ammo in Alaska. Before you leave Alaska, cut the frame up with the end mill in the press, or just burn it. You will pay for the flat rate box, both ways and $100 to $150 for the frame. The rest of the parts go back home by mail for reuse.

Whatever, you do, do not take the 80% frame into Canada, or any of the gun parts. I donโ€™t know about Canadian law, but you will learn all about an acronym โ€œITARโ€ the hard way from the US. The window for this option may soon close, if โ€œGhost Gunsโ€ become forbidden. However, with the 2,000,000 Winchester 37 shotguns and all the other firearms made without serial numbers, I do not see them as a real problem.

As always, do your research, before you go. Plus my advice is worth what you paid for it. Now anyone have better ideas? Always remember, if your mind is too open, your brain will fall out.
13 REPLIES 13

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW

...Assuming you won't be guided, but will be using either a transporter or a charter flight:

- Although all bets are off in the current environment (i.e. impact of covid on folks coming to Alaska), transporters tend to book up a season in advance. Now would be the time to make inquiries for 2021....and depending on any number of things, many transporters tend give preference to their prior clients.
- Alternatively, one can just charter a flight from ____ (some town) to _____ some unnamed lake. Probably less critical to arrange in advance, but less certainty of being in a productive area as well.

- For moose, "boat" use tends to hit extremes: boat on rivers that are within reach from the road system (i.e. Little Su from Los Anchorage) and count on luck and hunting during the week to find a moose, or take multi-day trips up the bigger rivers to get into the country.

....of course, my colleague has a cabin within an hour's C180 flight of Anchorage and he routinely has his choice of moose to shoot by just hanging out for a few days.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry pa12 I wasn't clear. I was going to drive the first 5,000 miles and spend a couple of months before hunting season. Then I am looking to fly the last 100 miles to get away from the crowds. The right boat can work too.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW:

- You'll be competing with 1/3 of either Los Anchorage or Squarebanks if you try for a moose hunt up here in road accessible locations. ATV-accessible locations off the road are a bit better, but only if (in my experience) if you're AT LEAST 1 full days transit back, and ideally a tough day's transit. One can always "get lucky", but it doesn't happen all the time.
- Same thing on early caribou: Road accessible means it's accessible to much of the population of the bigger towns.....
- Not sure when Canada is going to relax their transit requirements.
- I spend much of Moose season at my ATV-accessible cabin; more to ensure no vandalism from the ATV-riders than anything else, although if the world's dumbest moose wanders by (as has happened 4-5 times in the past 30 years) where I can take it from the deck, so be it.

I operate primarily 85% + on wheels. Have skis but also have a hangar that is 2000' of asphalt away from the snow strip in Los Anchorage. Failed at retirement once already but the next retirement may see new wheel skis. Float spot logistics are complicated in Los Anchorage, so no floats for me.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
A birdie told me that pre covid, Whitehorse Rifle and Pistol Club did 3 gun shoots. Maybe, the competition route is not as closed as I believed. I checked on the net, yep, they used to. Maybe wrangle an invite for southern cooking and beer?

Hey PA12DRVER, I'm retired and drive when I can to enjoy the journey. Drove to a moose hunt in Newfoundland last year, and we made meat. How about early caribou in August next year, if my African hunt is canceled? My boss (darling wife) might let me go, if I don't get my "fix" this year. Big hunting trips are every other year, but I got an exception for a special moose hunt with our son in 19. You like floats or wheels, do you do commercial, or just fun??

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver, I'm scratching my head a little over your comment. Am I correct in saying that "you check your gun on the US side of the border before entering Mexico, right? So why would you not do the same thing in the US before crossing into Canada? Therefore, why would across the border or on the border in Canada, say a business, need to be there to check your gun?

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
When went to rocky point in Mexico, there was a store at the border that allowed you to check your gun in for a fee and pick it back up when exiting Mexico. Is there any location on the Canadian border that will do the same thing. Traveling to Alaska without a weapon is probably safe but getting to the border through the USA may not be safe.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mailing rifles and shotguns to yourself in care of another individual (not an FFL) via USPS is legal. The lib postmaster broke my shoes about it and even made me tear open my box to show her the contents. Next time I won't be so forthright about the contents and try to follow the letter of the law.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbor took a single action Super Blackhawk .44 magnum to Canada to protect from bears in Northern Ontario while fishing in the back country.. He took soft point ammo as hollow points are no-no. This was two years ago, I think. He told me about it last year. I don't know about the forms and cost.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"...better ideas"?

Yep, but a question first: Why are you bringing a firearm to Alaska? Is it for a hunting trip? Bear protection on a true wilderness self-guided fishing trip? General concerns on the wild streets of Los Anchorage and Squarebanks?

Unless it's for a hunting trip, my personal view is that there is no need to cart a firearm in an RV up to Alaska....and if it's a hunting trip to Alaska, one probably wouldn't be driving. Most fishing guides don't want clients to have firearms and unless one is truly at a remote area, on foot, chances of running into brother bruin with a bad attitude are pretty small.

....and a bit of inquiry will identify the parts of Los Anchorage, Squarebanks, and the Meth-Su to avoid so that a defensive firearm is not needed.

If one is determined to carry, then ship it to and from. Least hassle, probably in the final analysis least expensive.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/importing-exporting-and-transporting-transit/importation-exportation-and-transportation-transit-ammunition/9909

Canada will allow US citizens to transport up to 5,000 rounds of ammo, I could search again, but I think 5,000 primers and several pounds of powder are also OK. I think 5,000 rounds is darn generous.

Always do your own research, and print out the regs to take with you. I know from work that a radioactive source can be transferred to Canada. I also know we can bring one up from Mexico. High explosives can also be moved between our countries (oil field perforation charges). All kinds of stuff are legal, do you research, ask questions, have contacts on both sides of the border. It is all about paperwork and signatures.

It ain't right and wrong, its legal and illegal.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I had seen a you tube vid showing someone shipping guns to AK
YouTube
Wolfhawk Gun shipping in Tok AK. shows in video at about the 5:30 point.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Want your weapon in Alaska? Ship it. And ship it back home, too.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWhatever, you do, do not take the 80% frame into Canada, or any of the gun parts.โ€

Or ammunition. Respect our neighborโ€™s laws.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad