Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Firearms to Alaska
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Firearms to Alaska

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A birdie told me that pre covid, Whitehorse Rifle and Pistol Club did 3 gun shoots. Maybe, the competition route is not as closed as I believed. I checked on the net, yep, they used to. Maybe wrangle an invite for southern cooking and beer?

Hey PA12DRVER, I'm retired and drive when I can to enjoy the journey. Drove to a moose hunt in Newfoundland last year, and we made meat. How about early caribou in August next year, if my African hunt is canceled? My boss (darling wife) might let me go, if I don't get my "fix" this year. Big hunting trips are every other year, but I got an exception for a special moose hunt with our son in 19. You like floats or wheels, do you do commercial, or just fun??

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW:

- You'll be competing with 1/3 of either Los Anchorage or Squarebanks if you try for a moose hunt up here in road accessible locations. ATV-accessible locations off the road are a bit better, but only if (in my experience) if you're AT LEAST 1 full days transit back, and ideally a tough day's transit. One can always "get lucky", but it doesn't happen all the time.
- Same thing on early caribou: Road accessible means it's accessible to much of the population of the bigger towns.....
- Not sure when Canada is going to relax their transit requirements.
- I spend much of Moose season at my ATV-accessible cabin; more to ensure no vandalism from the ATV-riders than anything else, although if the world's dumbest moose wanders by (as has happened 4-5 times in the past 30 years) where I can take it from the deck, so be it.

I operate primarily 85% + on wheels. Have skis but also have a hangar that is 2000' of asphalt away from the snow strip in Los Anchorage. Failed at retirement once already but the next retirement may see new wheel skis. Float spot logistics are complicated in Los Anchorage, so no floats for me.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry pa12 I wasn't clear. I was going to drive the first 5,000 miles and spend a couple of months before hunting season. Then I am looking to fly the last 100 miles to get away from the crowds. The right boat can work too.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW

...Assuming you won't be guided, but will be using either a transporter or a charter flight:

- Although all bets are off in the current environment (i.e. impact of covid on folks coming to Alaska), transporters tend to book up a season in advance. Now would be the time to make inquiries for 2021....and depending on any number of things, many transporters tend give preference to their prior clients.
- Alternatively, one can just charter a flight from ____ (some town) to _____ some unnamed lake. Probably less critical to arrange in advance, but less certainty of being in a productive area as well.

- For moose, "boat" use tends to hit extremes: boat on rivers that are within reach from the road system (i.e. Little Su from Los Anchorage) and count on luck and hunting during the week to find a moose, or take multi-day trips up the bigger rivers to get into the country.

....of course, my colleague has a cabin within an hour's C180 flight of Anchorage and he routinely has his choice of moose to shoot by just hanging out for a few days.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Firearms to Alaska
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.