Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughes 30 amp surge protector

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,
Just curious to see who has tried the Hughes 30 amp bluetooth surge protector? I am looking for one with a slight limited budget but still would like some protection.
Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
11 REPLIES 11

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input. I appreciate your help.
Curly

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd encourage you to go "whole hog" and get the Hughes autoformer. There is far more damage caused by the endemic low voltage at campgrounds, that by surges. Having a low voltage cut off is fine--but it is nice that I can run my roof air safely when connecting to a 100 volt (no load) 15 amp shore power supply.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Maybe you can get a good deal on this. Just posted.
Progressive EMS

No affiliation to me.

it is possible that this experienced a surge in it's limited use and could need refurbishing????????
bumpy

My crystal ball refuses to give me that information. As with anything purchased used...BUYER BEWARE!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input!
Curly

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Southwire/TRC Surge Guard

Now far as I know both Southwire/TRC and progressive Industires make a number of products
The PI HW-30 C is top of the list and teh Southwire hardwired close to it and on sale this month at Camping world (WHY I have that product instead of the PI)

These units not only protect against Spikes (Tranisiebt high volteages some of which can be downright impressive) but guard against the accidental "OH C!!! I pluggeg into 240 volts. or other high and LOW voltage issues.

THey monitor voltage. current and alert about bad wireing (Reversed or missing wires)

Very nice.

One feature I like on my TRC by default and the PI by option is the delay turn on. Over 2 minutes if power "BLINKS" (goes off and right back on) tears up refrigerant compressors something fierce. but mine sits there for over 2 minutes to give the compressor time to relax a bit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 30A hard wired Hughes Watchdog with bluetooth. Works great, is an EMS type. On recent 4 week trip, it did it's job on low voltages, disconnecting and sending warning. Reconnect without any yelling and screaming!! Feel very satisified with purchase!!

Hughes has a warranty, not lifetime, but you can purchase a module if it blows for very little $$$'s and simply replace yourself. Don't have to send into them for "repair" or warranty.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Progressive EMS

No affiliation to me.

it is possible that this experienced a surge in it's limited use and could need refurbishing????????
bumpy

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive EMS

No affiliation to me.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
2400 Joules of Advanced Surge Protection
Wirelessly Monitor Volts & Amps and Watts on your Smartphone in real time!
Complete LED Park Power Diagnostics with Wireless Fault Alerts
Set Custom Alert Thresholds
Replaceable Surge / Spike Module โ€“ Should you get hit by a large spike, simply order a new surge module. No need to order a whole new unit.
IP65 rating โ€“ Rugged outdoors rain proof design.
Premium protection from spikes and surges
Mobile app is available for free on iOS and Android platforms
Industry First
Patent Pending
YES, it is compatible with adapter, โ€œdog boneโ€ adapters
Go GLOBAL โ€“ WiFi/CELLULAR add on option โ€“ www.RVWHISPER.com (monitor unit from miles away!)
3 Year Warranty!
All this for less than $150! Thanks for posting, I now have another option.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you like the Hughe's product why not spend a little more and get one that actually protects something?
Hughes WatchDog
Or look at a Progressive Ind. EMS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
it's cheap and you get what you pay for. get a full function surge protector, not a $100 special.
bumpy