Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange sounds from the kitchen sink

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Help me out here. I am sitting in the RV doing some work and all of a sudden, I hear a gurgling sound from the kitchen sink. I first think a water line must of broke. I check everything and all is ok. That was weird.

We have been set up here for a few days with full hook ups. The black tank value is closed and the grey is open. I checked my vents and everything is ok. It stopped after a few minutes but there was a smell of sewer. I was perplexed.

After thinking about it I am wondering if someone up stream from me dumped their black tank and the force of the fluids pulled the air from my drain pipe. It sounds kind of strange but I can’t think of any other explanation.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Look forward to your help solving this mystery.

Thanks as always,
Phil
7 REPLIES 7

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We keep the gray tank open when dong laundry and sometimes when we are sitting in one place for while...but in Mississippi we had a lot of sewer gas invade the coach. So we closed the valve and upon removing our sewer hose found several big slugs crawling up the sewer connection. A little longer and they would have been in our sewer hose and in the gray tank.

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Found out the park is having the sewers worked on. That's what it was
Thank

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my gray tanks open when I'm on an extended stay someplace. I always make a "P" trap or a dip if you will in my sewer hose near the actual sewer connection. That way I know it stays filled with water preventing sewer gases from getting into my RV. Many RV parks have their sewer connection pipes a few inches above ground level which makes a "P" trap automatically.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Flushing your hose after a black tank dump is important! Grey tank water does flushing. Let your tanks fill...then dump.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome back OB, glad to see you are on a roll again :B

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
'P' trap got sucked dry.......close the grey tank dump valve until time to dump and fill trap back up by running a little water down sink drain
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bruce_Brown
I think you figured out what it was.

I always keep the valves closed until (A) the tanks are near full, or (B) it's time to go home. Over the years I've found it seems to work best to let the tanks fill as opposed to trickling out as you're doing.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910