Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: over nite stops
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> over nite stops

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

iam new to this foum so i hope iam not in the wrong place.
i am a retired trucker and an avid motor homer i am asking everyone to please not take truck spaces in rest areas and truck stops. they have to rest and they cant go to rv parks and state parks and the like.. with movement of goods so important right now they need to get the importent rest that need thank you for lisening to me[emoticon]

DREAMER ">

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wish they would enforce the truck parking,but it's rare. Once I pulled in next to a luxury motorhome with his slides out...missed it by maybe an inch. An hour later he was banging on my door to turn off the reefer unit. Told him no problem,pay the $1.5 million for the load first though. He moved.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll have to admit I have mixed emotions on this subject. The rest areas are built and paid for with public monies. And while I see no sense in having cars park in spots that are obviously designed for trucks, if there's no other space it hardly seems fair that they should be forced to move on just in case a full sized truck comes rolling in. I never parked in truck spots when I was in a car, but if I'm pulling my 40' toyhauler, I'll park where I can fit. JMO of course.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pushtoy2 wrote:

i am new to this forum so i hope i am not in the wrong place.
i am a retired trucker and an avid motor homer i am asking everyone to please not take truck spaces in rest areas and truck stops. they have to rest and they cant go to rv parks and state parks and the like.. with movement of goods so important right now they need to get the importent rest that need thank you for listening to me

A fair point for discussion. Please keep your posts polite and respectful. Thank you. (Mod)

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In this day and age, it would seem to be a safety factor for more and larger rest areas. Our trucking industry has more stringent rules to abide by, and our population has grown. However, I don't feel any rush by our officials to address this issue. I could rant loudly now, but what's the use?

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rest areas are for public use. They aren't for over the road truckers only. Most rest areas I have ever seen have 2 lots, one for cars and one marked trucks and some wording about Rv's or trucks pulling trailers. I understand the need to keep the supply chain moving, but public rest areas are for anyone. If I am travelling and get stuck in traffic and too late to continue on to my destination, I wouldn't hesitate to stop and overnight. Isn't is safer for me and everyone else to rest - I need my rest as much as anyone else. That said, I don't agree with Rver's habitually using rest stops to avoid paying CG fees. If I have a choice I'll always pick a CG.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CGs are for people who are traveling for the experience of traveling or as home bases once they get to their vacation destination. We are eventers, we travel from home to the event site. While in route we will sleep in rest areas or other parking lots when we stop around 10-11pm local time. We’re only there long enough to rest. Finding and going to a CG at that time of night would add significantly to our travel time. Not all RVers in rest areas or parking lots are there to avoid the costs of a CG.

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, Fern & Hattie
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

CGs are for people who are traveling for the experience of traveling or as home bases once they get to their vacation destination. We are eventers, we travel from home to the event site. While in route we will sleep in rest areas or other parking lots when we stop around 10-11pm local time. We’re only there long enough to rest. Finding and going to a CG at that time of night would add significantly to our travel time. Not all RVers in rest areas or parking lots are there to avoid the costs of a CG.

I've done overnights in CG's plenty of times en-route to a destination that may take days. I plan it into the trip.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were you arriving after 10pm and departing by 8am? If the CG is going to make me stay in an overflow parking area because I arrive after the start of quiet time what is the point of the added travel time from my route to the CG? How many CGs accept 6+ dogs?

* This post was edited 08/06/20 07:34am by BCSnob *

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tax dollars pay for rest stops so I will keep using them. I don't use the truck spaces at truckstops if crowded.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> over nite stops
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.