cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable solar installation has me stumped

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
My little vintage Kustom Koach (affectionately named Gertie) serves as my studio. The previous owner gutted it and fitted it out as basically a bedroom on wheels. I, in turn, took out the bed platform and added bookcases and an IKEA table for sewing, and a desk for computer workspace.

The electrical system plugs into the seasonal campground power box, and I also plug it into our larger TT, using an adapter to plug into an external outlet. A distribution box inside Gertie runs power to several outlets on the four walls. There is no battery.

That’s the rub. I have a 100W portable solar panel kit that includes an 8.5A charge controller, voltage tester, 8 ft (2.4 m) extension cable, battery clamps and stand.

Now, I know I need a battery and I have identified a good deal on a 12v deep cycle battery.

What I am sure of is how do I get power from the battery into the trailer? As I said, as of now, there is no battery connected to the trailer’s electrical system.

Could someone help me with my continuing education in all things solar? TIA
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
coachellacanuck wrote:
Don’t know what a converter is

Start here.
Converter "converts" AC power to DC. It's a battery "charger".
An inverter converts DC power to AC (inefficiently compared to a dedicated AC power source).
Unless I misunderstand your wants/needs here, just keep your little camper plugged in to shore power for AC power needs.
Or better explain what you're trying to accomplish with solar charging.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
RV solar is typically used where the unit will be unable get shore power.
Good point - but I'd argue that the most common use is bragging rights.

My rig is stored under cover with no power so I can't even use the solar. BUT I have 750W which supplies ALL of my power. Want to know more - Don't need to ask because I'll tell you anyway... :W
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
coachellacanuck wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
What are you trying to accomplish with the solar system?

If you are already connected to the grid and it's providing the power you need, there really is no purpose to adding solar in most cases.

Perhaps trying to lower the bill for power?

To connect the KK to the larger trailer, I string the power cord across the campsite and with an adapter I plug into an exterior outlet near the front door. It’s a tripping hazard.

I want her to be self sufficient. So I guess it’s more a case of want versus need. I want it.

Assuming you are moving around, most parks include power, so savings will be non-existent.

If you are stationary at one park, dig a little trench and bury it to eliminate the tripping issue. Or connect to the 20amp outlet on the pedestal and with a long cord, run it around the outside of the site out of the way.

Again other than having a neat new technology, I'm not seeing what the goal is. RV solar is typically used where the unit will be unable get shore power. It's kind of like buying a jacked up jeep with giant tires but only using it for commuting on paved roads in good weather...

So I'm still back to why?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The battery is connected to whatever 12V house loads you have - lights etc. It's all one giant circuit with branches and the amps go where needed. Some have found it convient to connect the controller to say the charger output, hopefully they verify adequate wiring.

BTW Solar amps go to the house loads and if any are left they go to the battery. ie If the solar is producing 15A and the house is using 10A then there are 5A to charge the battery. If the house is using 21A then 6A comes from the battery.

Bob

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
coachellacanuck wrote:
And your battery is wired into the trailer, right? That’s the problem. No battery wired into the trailer anymore.
Bingo! You've identified one problem. RV Solar is based on a battery for numerous reasons.

As posted: Panels to Controller to Battery.

Panels>Controller>Battery>???????

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
coachellacanuck wrote:
And your battery is wired into the trailer, right? That’s the problem. No battery wired into the trailer anymore.
Bingo! You've identified one problem. RV Solar is based on a battery for numerous reasons.

As posted: Panels to Controller to Battery.

Bob

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
For whatever this is worth, we connect our portable solar panel directly to the battery with alligator clips on the battery terminals. The controller is mounted on the underside of the panel. The cable runs from the controller to the battery.

When it is time to move to a new campsite, we unhook the alligator clips, wind up the cable, and fold the panel.

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
So, 12v deep cycle marine battery has been procured. Stopped in at the local RV dealer and spoke with someone in the service department. He had no clue as to how to bring power from the solar setup into the trailer. It shouldn’t be this hard, should it?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever this is worth, we connect our portable solar panel directly to the battery with alligator clips on the battery terminals. The controller is mounted on the underside of the panel. The cable runs from the controller to the battery.

When it is time to move to a new campsite, we unhook the alligator clips, wind up the cable, and fold the panel.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

If you are already connected to the grid and it's providing the power you need, there really is no purpose to adding solar in most cases.

To connect the KK to the larger trailer, I string the power cord across the campsite and with an adapter I plug into an exterior outlet near the front door. It’s a tripping hazard.

I want her to be self sufficient. So I guess it’s more a case of want versus need. I want it.

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Where are the breakers? (i.e. power distribution center) Is there still a converter (mine is under the bed)?

My OEM battery bank was just behind the driver's side door. There was room for 3 deep cycle group 29 jars.

There is a small breaker box. Don’t know what a converter is but there is nothing in the trailer except the breaker box and 4 outlets, one on each wall.

There is very little OEM in this wee little girl!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360 wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This series of plain English articles may help:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.