Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How does RV Insurance work? How to get around my Catch-22?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How does RV Insurance work? How to get around my Catch-22?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
SinanEmRV

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, Hopefully there is a simple answer for this but I am scratching my head right now. I ran into a cyclical problem when I thought about trying to attain RV insurance and RV license. I can't buy or drive my RV without first getting RV insurance. I can't get RV insurance unless I have my RV license (I think??). And I can't get my RV license without first having an RV.

With a car, it was easy to rent or borrow someone else's vehicle to practice and pass the driving test. With an RV, it doesn't seem like there are many services that let you rent and practice a 42' fifth wheeler... What is the order that people usually accomplish this? Am I missing some part of this equation?

(Relevant only to those with RV license requirements in specific states & weight restrictions).

EDIT::: As I was using incorrect wording - I am referring to the "Class A Noncommercial License". In TX, that license is needed if you drive a combined GCWR more than 26,000 pounds or tow anything with GVWR more than 10,000 pounds. The vehicle we're looking at DOES meet those requirements. I kept calling it "RV License" in my head but obviously that doesn't make sense. Sorry for confusion!

**One more clarification: I don't know how to change my profile tag that shows myself in "CA", but we are in TX and subject to TX requirements.

Thanks!

* This post was last edited 08/06/20 11:59am by SinanEmRV *   View edit history

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 03:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SinanEmRV wrote:

Hello, Hopefully there is a simple answer for this but I am scratching my head right now. I ran into a cyclical problem when I thought about trying to attain RV insurance and RV license. I can't buy or drive my RV without first getting RV insurance. I can't get RV insurance unless I have my RV license (I think??). And I can't get my RV license without first having an RV.

With a car, it was easy to rent or borrow someone else's vehicle to practice and pass the driving test. With an RV, it doesn't seem like there are many services that let you rent and practice a 42' fifth wheeler... What is the order that people usually accomplish this? Am I missing some part of this equation?

(Relevant only to those with RV license requirements in specific states & weight restrictions). FYI - this isn't related to financing requirements, we are buying cash. But we definitely don't want to drive around without insurance coverage either.

Thanks!

Never heard of needing a RV license to pull a 5th wheel.[emoticon]
Not even in California.
Who told you that you needed a "RV" license?

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

SinanEmRV wrote:

(Relevant only to those with RV license requirements in specific states & weight restrictions). FYI - this isn't related to financing requirements, we are buying cash. But we definitely don't want to drive around without insurance coverage either.

Thanks!

Not even in California.

Personally, I would find the 5th wheel I wanted to buy, get all the specific information i.e. model,yr. lic. #, Vin # which is stamped on towing hitch for a 5th. wheel, then call your insurance company and tell them when you want the insurance to start. Then hook up your 5th. wheel and practice. The RV license you are referencing to is called a Class A commercial Lic. that 18 wheeler truckers are required to have. I personally would not bother with the Class A Lic. just use your regular car license. Ask your insurance Company if your regular lic. is ok to drive your 5th wheel. You could also call your local DMV office for a final clarification. I have a 35' 5th. wheel weighing 20 K when loaded and I just have a regular car License. Getting a Class A commercial lic. is a much more difficult test to pass and has to be renewed every yr. or so and requires a physical health exam from a Doctor and cost more money. To register your 5th wheel, you have to drive your 5th wheel to the DMV office just so they visually check the Vin number. I would avoid getting a Class A license if at all possible. Just my 2 cents from Calif.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't heard of needing an RV license anywhere!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I haven't heard of needing an RV license anywhere!

Ignorance of the law is no excuse said the Judge. Many states have higher class licenses for non-commercial vehicles. I'm in Texas & it's based on the combined GVWR and if over 26000 lbs you need a class A or B NON-COmMERCIAL license.I have the A . I don'tt know or care about Ca specifics but have read several threads on this & Ca does have an endorsement/license requirement for larger RV's .

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming Calicrazy has such a thing, you might call up a truck driving school and see if they have something that might be applicable. Obviously, commercial truck drivers have the same issue.

In most states, your standard drivers license is acceptable to drive just about any RV.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't think you needed a special RV license to drive one, but I found this guide online.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the if a 5er is over 15,000# in California you need a endorsement on you regular license to tow it. I believe it requires both a written and driving test. The catch being you can’t drive to the test without someone who has the endorsement riding with you.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure where you live, but here in Georgia we don't have to have a special license to tow or drive a MH. You will have people who try to say that you need a special license to drive over 26K but that only applies to commercial haulers.
Other states may have special rules but look closely at the wording of the statutes in the traffic/licensing codes and make sure you are not mistaking commercial requirements for what you are wanting and intending to drive.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Not even in California.

In Texas, and many other states, it is not an RV license, it is a license to operate a vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs. And that includes many RVs, both driveables and towables.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How does RV Insurance work? How to get around my Catch-22?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.