cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1996 itasca suncruiser 32' w/ ford 460

Jack1776
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has some medical issues and we can no longer RV with our trailer, but need to get a class A. Price is an issue. I am looking (just looking) at 1996 Itasca 32' Suncruiser with the Ford 460 and with about 61,000 miles. I have not yet driven it. The floor plan and room for medical equipment fits our needs very well. I have several questions but mainly is this a reliable engine and motorhome and how is the ride? I would appreciate all comments. I am really trying to stay around 25k if possible. Is there some other Class A someone might recommend. Thank You, Vincent
6 REPLIES 6

Jack1776
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Vincent

MrWizard
I have a 97 Bounder with the Ford F53 chassis and 460 engine
67,000 when I got it in 2017, 81,000 on it now

In 3 yrs ownership, one ignition module, fuel pump replacement modification,
Front disc brake pads and calipers, new tires

The 460 is a very durable dependable engine
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
A very common misconception is that the chassis and engine are the big issues of any class A or C. That is just not the case.

Couldn't agree more!

I spend more time and energy, tightening screws, replacing cabinet struts, regluing a small piece of laminate, tacking a piece of trim backdown, replacing the fuel tank filler tube rubber connector, stove that's rattling, hatch lock that stopped working, squeak in dinette table, shower hook fell off, resealing fine gaps everywhere outside, reattaching a wire that worked it's way loose from years and miles of travel and so on and so forth, way before I have to even deal with any major chassis issue.

If you add up all the time I spent in the last 2 years alone repairing minor age related issues, replacing tranny would have been faster, easier and less aggravating. Even a simple suspension repair could be an pain if age has caused other working parts to not play well with that one new part.

When buying an older used RV, make sure you have both major inspections; a mechanic to go over the entire chassis portion and an RV tech to do the coach.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Vincent,

A very common misconception is that the chassis and engine are the big issues of any class A or C. That is just not the case. Water leakage into the house structure is a much bigger issue. If you see evidence of that, think seriously of not buying. When you have a coach to take care of, get up on the roof regularly and inspect for possible issues.

What you are considering is only a senior RV, but it is still old enough to have the problems that are common to anything that old. At about 15 years, rubber parts start failing. If you have any capability (I do mean just about any), this is all something you can do and the cost of all the material required is usually less than a K$ (less than the new tires it will probably also need). All the rubber parts, just like tires that are dangerous over 8 years old, like fuel, coolant and brake lines. This is also not that tough as the coolants corrosion inhibitors are gone, and the brake fluid probably has high water content and those things should be changed our any way. The rubber fuel lines may not have been alcohol tolerant, they can get porous and that will cause unending grief.

Does this guy know the situation?
Our completely reliable coach is not that far from being 50.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
That vintage Class A should be less than half of your budget. Maintenance is more important than make or model of an older MH. Check maintenance records, for all fluid changes etc. Exhaust manifold leaks were common in both 460's and 454 engines, headers fixed that issue reducing engine heat and adding about 80 more HP. If you don't mind fixing things it could be a good MH or a money pit if you have to take it to a shop every time something goes wrong.

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford 460 has a great reputation as a heavy-duty and dependable engine. The transmission should be good, too, assuming it has been maintained. The power steering pump may leak, but they all do.