cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 coachman freelander 26ds flat towing

fwtraveler1
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know what kind of vehicles are being towed by coachman freelanders. The towing capacity is listed at 5000 lbs. Is it safe to tow that amount or should I back off of that amount. My wife and I have owned the freelander for less than a year and are new to everything. Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Many Ford products are towable including the Fusion Hybrids and Plug-in hybrid models. Also Lincoln MKZ hybrid. Many Ford Explorers and Edge models are towable depending on which engine they have. Also Ford trucks (F-150 and Ranger) with 4x4 configuration where transfer case can be put in neutral. Also the new 2020 Escapee hybrid and plug-in hybrid models are towable.

We have towed Ford & Lincoln hybrids for over 13 years - - all tow great with minimum set up issues and they all have great fuel economy.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

fwtraveler1
Explorer
Explorer
Good info from all. TU I liked Gary's comment "I know it's back there!" We travel in the mountains a lot. Bought a 2020 2L Equinox today. At 3610 lbs it is the right fit for us.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
fwtraveler1 wrote:
Looking at a Chevy Colorado at 4500 lbs.

I worked for, and retired from, a very large Defense Contractor.

One of our contracts was to design, build, and install electronic equipment into a handful of Blackhawk helicopters.

Not having a real tug, for over a year we used a 2WD Jeep Cherokee belonging to the Maintenance Dept. to pull the 18,000 pound Blackwawks all over the flight line and in and out of the hangar.

True, we were not out on the Interstate at 70 mph, but it worked for us.

Another part of that same project was to design and build a HMMWV towed trailer and mounted 3 meter, fold-out, dish antenna system.

The unique 5,000 pound trailer hitch had to be designed with a 250% safety factor.

To prove the safety factor we loaded the HMMWV up to 12,500 pounds and had a crane lift the vehicle off the ground by the hitch. All 5 passed.

I would bet that, for liability reasons, ALL vehicle mounted hitches and suspensions are built with some safety factor, probably at least 100%.

Tim

I've got my asbestos underpants on. Y'all flame away.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
fwtraveler1 wrote:
Read on line that some RVer's only use 80 percent of towing capacity as a safety factor.

Don't worry about this for pulling a car. This advice normally applies to travel trailers, because many new buys are too lazy or just don't know they need to calculate hitch weight against payload to find their actual towing limit, for 1/2-tons and smaller.

Flat-towing has not hitch weight, therefore you have no payload concerns. Use the 5k rating to its fullest, but do make sure you have a braking system.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 4660# Wrangler and I know itโ€™s back there! Thatโ€™s about the absolute limit in my mind.We used to tow a Beetle convert on a dolly, that combo weighed 4000#. That was just a tad better...
Gary

fwtraveler1
Explorer
Explorer
Tim. Looking at a Chevy Colorado at 4500 lbs. Read on line that some RVer's only use 80 percent of towing capacity as a safety factor. The 2020 Freelander has the same specs as the 2018 except for a 6 speed auto trans versus my 5 and a towing capacity or 7500 lbs. Thank you for your reply.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
fwtraveler1 wrote:
I would like to know what kind of vehicles are being towed by coachman freelanders.

We have a Chevy Chassis 2013 Coachmen Freelander.

We usually tow a 2-seater 2,500 pound Miata roadster.

If we need 4-5 seats (read: grand children) we tow a 3,500 pound Chevy Equinox.

What in the world would you tow that is over 5,000 pounds?

Tim

fwtraveler1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Barney.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since this topic is about towing a vehicle behind a motorhome (toad) I am going to move it to the proper forum where you should get some good informed replies.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine