cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 7000 generator error code 47

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
This code says in the book that it is an ignition code...My question is this...I had a bad chassis battery...Could this be the cause of the error code...??
thanks
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013
3 REPLIES 3

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info...I will copy and save it...Here is the sequence of events...Generator ran fine during trip to the campground, Started and ran fine that nite for several hours, next day ran fine for an hour or so and shut down (no Code). Started up again and ran for another hour or so and shut down (code 47) didn't need it rest of nite. 3rd nite started up fine and ran for couple of hours then shut down (no code). Started up again and ran for hour or so and shutdown (error code 47) Tried starting and wouldn't start (no code).
Next day before leaving it started fine and ran for hour or so, then I shut it down. Packed up and MH wouldn't start so had to use the boost power to start, then started generator up (while engine is running and it ran fine on 3 hour trip home...Replace Chassis battery yesterday, and had appt. to have generator checked for end of August, but had it done last Sept and had only used once before this trip...Want to save some money if the chassis battery MAY BE the issue.
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Low voltage can cause a multitude of issues! See how it is with the new battery!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could be a number of things. Code 47 simply means you have no spark. Is there a secondary code? Did you replace the battery? What happens when you try to start it? Have you checked the magneto with a meter? Press the stop button three times and see what code is thrown. Do this several times. If the code 47 is the only code thrown then you're in pretty good shape. Usually no spark can be a bad board or the magneto going bad. Most likely your bad battery threw the 47 code and you will be ok but it helps to check to make sure....There's a process to follow that I have copied somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. My brain no longer holds things like it used to...:).....Dennis

Edit: Found it! Here ya go...D

On the genset, press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. This will make the light start flashing. If it continually flashes 3 times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
The light will flash all codes in numerical order, and then start over. If it gives you 47 3 times in a row, it is the only fault.
Next, verify whether the plugs are actually firing or not. The easiest way is with an inline spark checker that connects directly to your spark plug. If you do not have one, the old tried-and-true method of removing the spark plug, inserting it into the spark plug wire and then holding the plug to the valve cover still works just as good.
Do you have spark?
If not, we can do a quick check check of the magnetos.
Remove the control panel cover (where the start swtich is). In the back of the control box is the engine controller. It is the black box with the 24 wire connector. Disconnect the connector.
Set your meter to ohms, and connect the red lead to a good engine ground. Find the 2 wires marked J1-15 and J1-20. Connect the black lead to these pins one at a time. You should have continuity. These are the magneto sense leads.
Next check J1-6 to ground. It should also have continuity. This is the controller ground.
How do these wires test?

Let's also check the resistance of the secondary magneto windings. Disconnect both spark plug wires. Hook one lead of your ohmmeter to a good ground. Test the plug wires one at a time. The left one should read 13,700 - 33,000 ohms, and the right one should read 11,500 - 27,000 ohms.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG