cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can a brake controller get weaker over time?

justALnow
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tekonsha Primus brake controller which was installed in my truck when it was new in 2005. Lately it seems like it's not stopping my trailer like it should, even with the gain turned all the way up. I adjusted the brakes themselves and it helped a little, but still not grabbing like it seems like it should. I'm thinking about going to a Prodigy to see if that helps...
12 REPLIES 12

justALnow
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
At 15 years old, I'd be checking the brake shoes & magnets as well.

The brake controller is 15 years old... The trailer is only 3. Still, I'm gonna pull it around to the driveway and give all the wiring a once-over.

bazar01
Explorer
Explorer
Electronic components will change values overtime, printed circuit boards fail due to mechanical stresses, vibrations, etc, solder joints weaken too.

If the output is getting low, the gain adjustment will take care of that.

If you have a variable power supply of 0-12VDC, you can apply that to the trailer plug brake pin to check if the electric brakes engage proportionally while the wheel is off the ground.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
At 15 years old, I'd be checking the brake shoes & magnets as well.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

justALnow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies .... I just replaced the 7way pigtail, so I'll check that ground, along with the wire connections. Also, replaced and relocated the 7-way on the truck side, so I'll recheck all that. Thanks again.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a flatbed trailer that had really poor brakes when new that failed in short order. When I checked the wiring, they had used Scotchlocks to connect the brake wires to the harness. When I soldered them instead, my controller went from showing 2-3 LED's to 6-7 when manually activated.

Fast forward a few years to when I added brakes to my small cargo trailer. It came with a heavy gauge wiring harness. Connected to the same controller it will max out the LED bar graph. I have to turn the gain way down for that trailer.

Wiring is everything when it comes to trailer brakes.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
X3. Almost certainly a trailer brake problem, not a controller problem. I think the suggestion for corrosion at connections is on the right track. Or even at your 7-way connection. But also make sure you don't have grease contamination. Did you recently service the bearings or pump grease in the zerks?

X4
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same problem and it was the ground connection at the trailer. Follow the 7-way cord back to the trailer and see where it grounds to the frame, there are usually a bunch of grounds under the same bolt. Take the bolt out and clean everything up good and your brakes will be like new.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes to above. Perhaps breaks just need to be adjusted from wear.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect every other part of the braking system before I suspected the controller.
Weak magnets, worn shoes, out of adjustment brakes, poor connections, etc.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
X3. Almost certainly a trailer brake problem, not a controller problem. I think the suggestion for corrosion at connections is on the right track. Or even at your 7-way connection. But also make sure you don't have grease contamination. Did you recently service the bearings or pump grease in the zerks?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It could be that some of your connections are corroded or there is a partial break in a wire.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you pull a wheel and physically check the trailer brakes before buying a new controller.