cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding non-bioDiesel

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our Revolution has an 05 Cat. it doesn't like biodiesel. It damages o rings seals and hoses.
We've looked on the Internet and ourselves have not found a listing or any current information on stations that sell non-biodiesel in Az,New Mexico or anywhere for that matter.
Not looking for a 6,000.00 repair or more, does anyone have a source a listing of fuel stops that sell non-biodisel? Just plain ulsd?
13 REPLIES 13

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
bjbear wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
My '95 3406 drank.... The temp of fuel going in the tank had much more effect on MPG than percent of bio.....

Can you explain a little more about you comment about fuel temperature affecting MPG?

We buy fuel measured in gallons, with is volume. Most liquids, get more dense as they cool. Fill the tank up to brim on a hot day, leave it set, and pretty soon the tank is overflowing. If a station was to buy 10,000 gallons of fuel that was 60* when it was put in the delivery tanker, then let it warm up to 80*, sell 10,000 gallons, they would still have fuel in the tank. There is less energy in a given volume of fuel, if the fuel is 80* instead of 60*.
Very few RVs will burn enough fuel for it to be a issue, but this has been a issue for trucking industry for a long time. The large fleets, that buy most of their fuel by the tanker load, get to use the growth in tank. When I was working if the nozzle did not feel cold after I had pumped a few gallons, I would mark my truckstop book not to fuel there.

Here in Az, Bullhead at least they charge 2 cents a gallon tax...for in ground storage tanks....and it gets hot here. See a few above ground tanks.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dispenser

Temperature compensation is common at the wholesale transaction level in the United States and most other countries. At the retail consumer level, Canada has converted to automatic temperature compensation, and the UK is undergoing conversion, but the United States has not. Automatic temperature compensation, known as Standard Temperature Accounting in the UK, may add a tiny amount of additional uncertainty to the measurement, about 0.1%.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
bjbear wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
My '95 3406 drank.... The temp of fuel going in the tank had much more effect on MPG than percent of bio.....

Can you explain a little more about you comment about fuel temperature affecting MPG?

We buy fuel measured in gallons, with is volume. Most liquids, get more dense as they cool. Fill the tank up to brim on a hot day, leave it set, and pretty soon the tank is overflowing. If a station was to buy 10,000 gallons of fuel that was 60* when it was put in the delivery tanker, then let it warm up to 80*, sell 10,000 gallons, they would still have fuel in the tank. There is less energy in a given volume of fuel, if the fuel is 80* instead of 60*.
Very few RVs will burn enough fuel for it to be a issue, but this has been a issue for trucking industry for a long time. The large fleets, that buy most of their fuel by the tanker load, get to use the growth in tank. When I was working if the nozzle did not feel cold after I had pumped a few gallons, I would mark my truckstop book not to fuel there.

Thanks for the info. I live in Canada, but travel to the US every winter. Up here in Canada, they calibrate the fuel pumps on a regular basis and certify the volumes delivered. They actually have minions that travel around and use each pump to fill an "official" measuring container and then adjust the pump as required.

I assumed they did the same in the US, but obviously not based on your experience. I'll have to pay more attention next time I am in the US (if this Covid-19 thing ever does away!!)

Just some more info........ Here is the official Government statement on correcting fuel volumes in Canada. If I am reading it correctly, it does not matter what temperature the diesel is delivered at, the pump measures the temperature and corrects the volume so you get the same energy.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm04344.html
That is of course assuming we can trust the government. Something that gets harder to do over time!! 🙂
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
No, the point is that an exact volume of fuel at 40 degrees F will show the same exact volume if pumped at 90 degrees F. Pump accuracy is not the issue.

BUT, there will be fewer molecules in that volume at the higher temperature.

So, if you put 10,000 gallons in a storage tank at 40 degrees F and pump it out at 90 degrees F, you will still have those "molecules" left in the storage tank.

https://www.onsitepoweradvisor.com/2012/12/03/thermal-expansion/

The coefficient of expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit, or roughly 1% per every 20°F increase in temperature.The coefficient of expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit, or roughly 1% per every 20°F increase in temperature.

Thanks, I understand. The applicable standard is Values calculated as per API Standard 2540 (1980) Chapter 11.1

I am going to have to think about this a bit to understand it better.
My Website

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
No, the point is that an exact volume of fuel at 40 degrees F will show the same exact volume if pumped at 90 degrees F. Pump accuracy is not the issue.

BUT, there will be fewer molecules in that volume at the higher temperature.

So, if you put 10,000 gallons in a storage tank at 40 degrees F and pump it out at 90 degrees F, you will still have those "molecules" left in the storage tank.

https://www.onsitepoweradvisor.com/2012/12/03/thermal-expansion/

The coefficient of expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit, or roughly 1% per every 20°F increase in temperature.The coefficient of expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit, or roughly 1% per every 20°F increase in temperature.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
bjbear wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Thanks for the info. I live in Canada, but travel to the US every winter. Up here in Canada, they calibrate the fuel pumps on a regular basis and certify the volumes delivered. They actually have minions that travel around and use each pump to fill an "official" measuring container and then adjust the pump as required.

I assumed they did the same in the US, but obviously not based on your experience. I'll have to pay more attention next time I am in the US (if this Covid-19 thing ever does away!!)
My Website

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bjbear wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

My Website

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
I love corn BUT...buing it to put in my diesel...YUK!!! The result of a misguided eight years of EPA rule. C'mon maaann JMHO 🙂
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
% of bio is determined by EPA rules, 5 to 20% by season. You can't escape it. My '09' was 5% a big reason I traded up to a '17' good for 20% bio. It was hard to find 5% and truck cashiers said it is nwhat it sqys on the punp. What was always on the pump was the fuel may contain between 5% and 20% bio fuel.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn’t bio added to ULSD to make up for the loss of lubricosity??? I’m not aware of any place you can buy ulsd without bio in it.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My '95 3406 drank lots of 10% bio. The only issue was it drank lots fuel. The temp of fuel going in the tank had much more effect on MPG than % of bio. When I sold the truck 7 years ago it was well past the 2 million mile mark, and the guy that bought it put the engine in a new Western Star kit.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually an 05 cat was ok to run bio up to 20% with no problem. Check the CAT specs for that year I think you’ll confirm that. The hoses seals etc were changed before then. My 03 ( actually 02 c12) drinks it with no issues 152000 miles so far.
In The west you have to search some to not get at least some bio.
Bill