Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: full time solar, maybe?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> full time solar, maybe?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wind in the campsite could be a problem if side mounted. On the roof it wouldn’t if flat.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

servitrike

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

understood. the unit currently has 2 house batteries. i figure i will need to plan for at least 2 more.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was doing a large RV solar system it would be with 48V battery bank, 48V charger, 48V inverter, 48V solar controller and 48-12V DC to DC converter for other house stuff. Now the amps and associated wiring have 1/4 the amps. There is a big difference between 200A and 50A.

There are at least 2 posters on this board with a 48V system.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

If I was doing a large RV solar system it would be with 48V battery bank, 48V charger, 48V inverter, 48V solar controller and 48-12V DC to DC converter for other house stuff. Now the amps and associated wiring have 1/4 the amps. There is a big difference between 200A and 50A.

There are at least 2 posters on this board with a 48V system.

Concur with all of the above, but back to what I said before. even with a 48V system I would want LiFePO4 battery so that is atE long time, but they do take up a lot of space. I doubt you could go through 10 hours of darkness running an A/C on that little storage !

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely. You will have to spend $$$ to run a A/C on solar. Big $$$$$

Sure you can run a very small A/C like a small window unit for a few hours as a minimum setup.

rjsurfer

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 03:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And don't camp East of the Mississippi.

Ron W.

03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A generator of 2900w will run somewhere around 80-90lb...let's call it 120 with a couple 5 gal jugs of gas.

2 additional deep cycle batteries can weigh that much...in reality, you need a lot more than 4 batteries to take advantage of even 2000w of solar. On an RV, you probably have to go lithium at significant additional cost to keep the weight under control.

Speaking of weight, how much cargo capacity do you have left...that's a lot of stuff being added.

As someone else mentioned, on the side, you will be over width.

Biggest difference is generator is on demand power. You start it up any time, you have the power. Solar puts out power for a short period mid-day. Morning and evening, power output is a small percentage of the rating. Night, shady site or overcast, you don't get much of anything.

This isn't to suggest solar is bad but you have to understand it's limits and make sure it can really do what you are thinking it can do.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

servitrike
I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.
Rather than shooting for "100% solar" (which is hard to do if you want to run the AC that came with your rig), why not just shoot for "mostly solar" (easy to do if you take the AC out of the equation)? 250 to 500 watts of solar, with a similar amount (in AHr's) of battery capacity, will likely get you there. Have fun building and experimenting with the system.

servitrike

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

u have all giving me a big window on this daydream.
i had never considered a few inches on either side would get me to an over width situation.
i understand solar is not an all day source.
part of this daydream is to include wind as a power source.
in a relatively short time we will be able to get out of this megaloplis known as LA. i need to be ready for when that happens.
thank you for all the input. i have a lot of learning to do.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wind power may make objectional noise if attached to the rig. I've seen them attached to the TVs, etc. And of course they cannot be deployed when traveling.

I suggest you go to Quartzsite in Jan for a week or so on BLM land to the south. Talk to those with various power setups and learn. DO NOT even consider the 2 major solar dealers there based on my experience talking to them. They only have one agenda - Install a pricey system, wait for you to return with under performance and sell you even more panels, sit bach and wait again. Guess what - It works because many do not learn and just hold up the CC with their discharged batteries. They will do anything. One build a new building right on Main St. Uhhh - no permit and the city shut it down and the building remained closed for about 2 years.

* This post was last edited 08/07/20 07:40am by CA Traveler *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> full time solar, maybe?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.