cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS recommendations

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase a newer gps for my rv. Would like ease of use and moderately priced.
14 REPLIES 14

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for all, or at least most of the replies. Decided rather than purchase a new unit I'd update my Garmin 57 maps. All the whistles and bells on some of the newer models are not required for me. just looking to get from A to B and maybe C without getting lost and like to avoid most highways. It helps immensely as I do not have a copilot to advise me.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use TomTom on my phone. I use to use TomTom devices and like the interface. Maps download to your device so losing cell service isn't an issue. If you wanted a nice big screen you could use a tablet. Annual subscription fee which to me is worth it.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
short travels, I use waze on my smart phone. Long travels, garmin with traffic and waze both

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Garmin 770RV with back up camera. This GPS has a lot of settings for the size and type of your RV but I find it hard to use. I still use my I phone for navigation.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used a garmin. I think that they are in bed with the Chamber of Commerce though. It will without fail attempt to run me through the business district.
Always need to keep my eye open for the bypass.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
lampooner wrote:
Out of eight previous posts only two actually made a specific unit recommendation!
Now it's nine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lampooner
Explorer
Explorer
Out of eight previous posts only two actually made a specific unit recommendation! This maybe why usage of this board appears to e diminishing !
Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

C-172-AV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Been using my Garmin RV 760 LMTGPS for quite a while. It has a 7inch screen and comes with a suction cup mount You can use it in RV Mode or Normal vehicle mode when not using the RV. The Rv Mode gives you RV Routing and Warnings, Directions to RV Parks and RV Services. Weather via Smartphone link as well as traffic conditions. I would give mine two thumbs up. Funny story I was heading on the highway to the B.C Ferry and it was telling me to go off of the highway and take a different route. Knowing that the route forward was the best and quickest I ignored it, bad decision within a few miles we were stopped and crawling along the highway. Wonโ€™t make that mistake again. Like all GPSes you have to be aware where it is leading you too but all in all pretty good....Mike
Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

dedmiston
JR51 wrote:
Looking to purchase a newer gps for my rv. Would like ease of use and moderately priced.

Hey JR. Can you add some specifics? What's your RV? Is it a towable or a motorhome?

Describe your cockpit a little. How much room do you have for a nav system?

What's your level of tech aptitude? Do you love tech? Tolerate tech? Fear tech?

Are you looking for anything specific from the nav or just directions and navigation?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve had my garmin71 for about a month works great easy to use. looked on google reviews before I bought one. on e bay new about $140. bucks.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of previous GPS posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There are always a few that tout use of paper maps and they will get you from here to almost there much of the time.
BUT they will not find an address which GPS will do and let you know when you will arrive at the destination which GPS will do AND tell you what is available at the exits on your route which GPS will do AND the maps can be updated electronically and....
We use the Garmin dezl 760 LMT.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find dozens - if not hundreds - of threads on this topic. If you're a GPS user (some prefer apps on phones/tablets or paper instead), the Garmin RV and Dezl (trucker's) models are popular. We have used one of the original Garmin RV 760s for six or seven years now and it has served us well.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm old school. I still use paper maps. Though they are getting harder to find. After that I just use the google maps thing on my cell phone.