Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV extended warrantee
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV extended warrantee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My o2 - once the extended warranty guys say "no" then it's' time to take it to an independent repair shop and get a written assessment of the issue.

Kevin

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Real important to read the fine print on these extended warranties. Most would be surprised by the number of exclusions they can use to refuse coverage on any number of items.

Don't fall for the sugar-coated ("it covers everything") description of overage provided by an RV salesman. Very few (if any) extended warranties cover roofs, structural issues, frames, etc.

myredracer

No camping in the US now due to covid.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take your trailer to a reputable frame and axle shop, and preferably a gov't certified one if you have such a thing. Pay the couple hundred $$ and get a detailed inspection. Do NOT try and resolve this with the dealer. Extended warranties are a waste of $$.

Stating you overloaded your TT or caused it otherwise is a standard Lippert excuse. Problem is, there are no industry standards for RV frame construction and Lippert can do what they want.

Many TTs these days have super cheap, weak frames and sometimes also have manufacturing defects. These are the ones that have I-beams that are made from 3 pieces of mild steel welded together to make what looks like a "regular" I-beam. These flex a lot and can cause serious problems. Extremely unlikely to be a tire or rim issue or an axle that you bent. Weighing the TT at a scale might also help to show you're not overloaded.

We had a previous TT that had one of the above frames and we managed to get it replaced under the basic factory warranty. Day after we owned it from new, I took it to a local independent RV shop looking for some propane fittings & parts for under the TT. The owner crawled underneath and noticed some odd issues with the frame.

Initially we took the TT to the dealer. They sent photos to Lippert who allegedly came back and said "it was within spec."

We then took it to a gov't certified inspection facility (a frame & axle shop) who did a thorough inspection and ended up saying it was the worst frame they'd ever seen and should be condemned. Spring hangers were bent to one side, lower "web" of I-beams were damaged at spring hangers, welding was bad, to name a few issues. We sent a copy of the report to the TT manufacturer and dealer and within days they said they'd replace the entire TT. When we got it, it had a MUCH heavier duty frame. Original frame was 6" tall and new one, 8" and with forged type I-beams. Also came with 12" brakes. In the 7-something years we've had it, not a single frame-related problem. (many other problems tho.)

If you have one of the weak welded frames, they have a LOT of vertical flex. While doing a wiring mod, I found a failed weld in the aluminum framing due to the flex. Also, the entry door would "parallelogram" and once the door flew open on the highway as a result because the latch would get out of alignment while the frame flexed. There could have been other failed welds, dunno.

I hope it all works out in the end for you.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just went ahead and had two brand new axles, with new bearings, brakes, grease, etc installed. Will attempt one more try on a warrantee, but it's time to just suck it and roll.
In a couple days, we're going to call and drop the warrantee. IF we get any $$$ back, it will be a shock.
As a side note, when we were signing the contracts at the dealer, we were rushed by the fellow, many folks kept popping in the room, and I didn't think to read the 14 poorly printed pages before signing.
Live and learn. Umbrella drinks good---extended warrantees bad!!

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

Umbrella drinks good---extended warrantees bad!!

Amen!

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DancinCampers

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not bad for everyone.

I bought a 7 year extended plan in Mar 2012. My Cummins had a 5 year warranty. In Jan 2019, my engine was replaced ($37,000).

Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aventa II, SMI Silent Partner

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forum Rules wrote:

Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits.

Just a friendly reminder to steer clear of legal discussions on the forum.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV extended warrantee
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.