Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Where to put generator in 21' travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Where to put generator in 21' travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

I just a generator mounted above the LP tank on the front.. using a fabricated platform. Looked good.

This makes far more sense.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Theft is usually just opportunity. They don't steal what they don't see. Put it in a plastic tub just inside the TT door while traveling or gone from the site. Make sure you turn the gas off if your gen has that option.
If you have a bed cover leave it under there but locked to a corner lower tie down.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a habit of looking at what people mount to the back of any vehicle, including travel trailers. Most of the stuff mounted back there is bouncing up and down several inches. All of that movement has got to be adding a lot of stress and will eventually result in metal fatigue and fractures. I do this because I once had a cargo tray mounted behind my Class-C that resulted in breaking the rear bumper. I luckily found a good welder that built a new frame extension that was up to the task and after that, the bouncing of the cargo tray stopped.
If you mount the generator on the back, make sure that you visit a good welder first.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE have friends that discovered they like to boondock. They tow a TT and also like AC when they are in the western area of the country. They built, or had built, a rack on the tongue of the trailer that just fits their genset. I think it is a 2000 Honda. It fits above the propane tanks and they bought or made a cover that protects the generator while driving. Straps in place securely
Great idea I thought.

Waynrdude

Chattanooga, Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done this project myself of putting a Champion 2800 inverter generator and two batteries on the ends of the bumper on the rear of a 26 foot travel trailer. A couple of concerns: 1. the 4" bumpers are designed to carry 4" sewer hoses, most of the 4" bumpers are not even welded the full width of the bumper to the frame. I had a welder finish welding it and he put 2X2 inch steel on each side of the I frame and welded it to the bumper. I read an article that just a bike carrier mounted to the bumpers have wiggled so much that it tears the bumper off without attention to it. Number 2. You need to look up an article on You Tube about sway control while pulling a trailer. The correct article shows a model car and trailer on a tread mill. I have yet to figure out how to calm the fish tailing down of the trailer. I have found that if I keep my Suburban full of fuel or extra 5 gallon water cans it helps. I have one sway bar and I am adding a second one and a mud flap across the bumper of the suburban to keep air from flowing under the trailer. The bottom of the trailer has corrugated plastic like for sale signs are made of and acts as an airplane wing lifting the trailer therefore sway starts at 65 mph. I have a unique design incorporating a Harbor Freight shelf and three bolt on 2x2 hitch receivers! If you are interested in seeing photos let me know.

2002 Blue Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
Our Toad is a Beetle 2001 Blue.
Full time by 2005 is the goal.
Alaska this summer, let's go!
WB4IEJ is my ham call, what's yours?

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave the generator in the back of your tow vehicle. Just make sure your power cord is long enough to reach it. You can cover up the generator and secure it in the truck.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A custom rack doesn’t address the ability of the trailer frame to carry that weight at or more likely behind the rear bumper. Carry it in your truck bed chained to something.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I have done this project myself of putting a Champion 2800 inverter generator and two batteries on the ends of the bumper on the rear of a 26 foot travel trailer.”

More than unwise, bordering on dangerous.

“I have yet to figure out how to calm the fish tailing down of the trailer. I have found that if I keep my Suburban full of fuel or extra 5 gallon water cans it helps.”

I rest my case.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Such a rack can be built to handle the weight safely. I see them all the time.

But before you do, think about this. The generator is going to be much more noticeable when running when it is attached directly to the frame of your trailer. You'll hear it more, and even feel the vibration, compared to sitting the genny on the ground a few feet away. It isn't the distance so much as the direct connection. And where is your bed? In many of those smaller trailers the full size bed is right at the rear. Usually they are too short for a front walk-around bed. Yours might be different. And of course, you can tote the genny there and still sit it on the ground when you want to run it, so it may not be a deal breaker for you. Just something to consider. Also consider where the exhaust is likely to waft, relative to any windows.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other thought...don't assume that a receiver has to be in the center of the rear bumper. You won't be towing with it, right? It can be better built if you place it right at the end of a frame rail. You can add a second one on the other side too if you want, maybe for bikes or some jugs of water. You're into customer welding anyway. And some of those thin bumpers fail not at the weld to the frame, but right in the center due to repetitive twisting of the 4" tubing. Frame gussets won't do much for that, but putting the receiver at or near to the frame rail stops the tube twist.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Where to put generator in 21' travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.