cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck flooded

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any experience with an insurance claim on a vehicle, F150 in my case, being partially flooded in salt water.

The hurricane got mine. Water up to top of the tires, plus or minus a couple of inches. Don't think water got in the engine but horn started blasting in middle of the flood and would not quit till the battery did. Water inside under seats, don't think it made it to the seat bottoms.

I don't want the truck back. Don't think you can ever get all the salt issues out. Told the insurance company that. Of course they want it inspected by a body and dealer. Told they by time inspections are done truck is toast. Guess I will see what they say.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
The goose is cooked... stick a fork in it. In the floor, in the trans, differential, wheel bearings, u-joints, steering, wiring, etc. Totaled.

Youโ€™re funny!
Mustnโ€™t get out much, eh! All those hard parts get bathed daily in a nice salt brine up north. All winter every winter.
I agree there will likely be electrical issues. But your statement proves you know almost nothing about vehicles......

Owner/Operator of Auto Repair Shop with a Master Mechanic Certification before entering the Ministry of Christ. Still do mechanical work and consult with others needing repair work. Live on an island surrounded by Salt Water where many vehicles are flooded ever year by salt water driven by storms. Have traveled the USA, Canada, Mexico.

What are your qualifications for distributing mechanical advise? :h

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Let them total it, collect the money and if you think you want it buy it back, you'll get a salvaged title.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
If it got up inside the car, even just the carpet, itโ€™s totaled. No questions. And since the horn started to go off, it got into the electronics.

Bottom line, itโ€™s done!

X-2 on the bottom line.

Totaled - (even if *not* by salt water).

~

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Grit Dog wrote:
Funny part is, I was talking to a guy down there, said the water got to his old suburban. Looked like it was over the rocker panels. Floor was wet inside.
Told me about it after he drove it 500 miles home. But heโ€™s not a pansy...

Talk to your buddy in about a year, you'll find out who knows almost nothing about cars.

I had another salt water flooded vehicle back in college, bunch of college kids duck hunting. No insurance. Drained the engine oil and drove on. Starter lasted about 30 days, generator was next, then it got to where it would not shift ( 3 on column ). Finally ended up taking battery out ( replaced too ) and selling to a junk yard.

BIG difference is this one is a 2018 , 22,000 miles and fully insured. You bet I want a total loss.

If you or anyone else thinks it can be rinsed off and good as before you are in a dream world. I know better.

pansie

dedmiston
Cloud Dancer wrote:
If the cost of fixing it is over 65% of the value, they can legally total it. The rules favor THEM,....IMO

According to this page Nevada is the only state with a 65% threshold. The percentage varies by state and many states use a formula instead.

The variable that the insurance companies always try to avoid is the "supplemental damage" cost. If they don't total it out and agree to pay for repairs instead, then they are responsible for paying all the additional "supplement" charges once the shop tears it down and finds damage that the appraiser couldn't see during the original inspection. That's where the gamble comes in. It's a gamble for the vehicle owner too, because of the "it's never going to be the same" factor.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the cost of fixing it is over 65% of the value, they can legally total it. The rules favor THEM,....IMO
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
The goose is cooked... stick a fork in it. In the floor, in the trans, differential, wheel bearings, u-joints, steering, wiring, etc. Totaled.

Youโ€™re funny!
Mustnโ€™t get out much, eh! All those hard parts get bathed daily in a nice salt brine up north. All winter every winter.
I agree there will likely be electrical issues. But your statement proves you know almost nothing about vehicles......

Yes, vehicles up north do indeed get "bathed daily" in the salt brine, but bathing and sitting in it (soaking) are two totally different things. Soaking in it allows it to permeate, whereas bathing does not. Looks like PastorCharlie might know a little more about vehicles than you give him credit for.

Not sure what your credentials might be, but I was in the automobile business for nearly 30 years before retiring and getting my Real Estate license, so I've experienced a lot, first hand.

Also, the guy that drove his old Suburban home 500 miles after being flooded. I translate "But heโ€™s not a pansy..." to mean "because he didn't have insurance" .... :C

Happy travels!!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Funny part is, I was talking to a guy down there, said the water got to his old suburban. Looked like it was over the rocker panels. Floor was wet inside.
Told me about it after he drove it 500 miles home. But heโ€™s not a pansy...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PastorCharlie wrote:

Youโ€™re funny!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œOf course they want it inspected by a body and dealer.โ€

Reasonable. What is the issue?

No issue except time. I was hoping for a real live appraiser who could make a determination but I am ok with and inspection. Just need a truck. TT is sitting in CG in Florida.etc.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
Start getting list from the auto trader on what the same truck you have now with the same miles, is selling for This is the price AAA settled on when wife totaled 2016 Honda Accord.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Some insurance companies are much easier to deal with than others in a situation such as yours --- hope you've got one of the 'good' ones!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Having someone inspect the vehicle is std procedure - I suspect you won't have any problems. Think about it - if you were an insurance company would you write a check based a phone call? No sense getting worried until there is a problem.
Kevin