Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning solar system for 1995 Fleetwood Southwind

RACC01
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am looking for information about adding solar system to 1995 Fleetwood Southwind. House batteries are 2 12 V.

Rebecca
11 REPLIES 11

RACC01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their input!

I've been out with family in solar equipped RV (500+ watts solar) for 10 days boondocking htis summer and I was favorably impressed with the experience. System has been on RV for years and I definitely see the benefit of the charge over storage time also. Thus, my interest in adding solar system.

I'm looking to be able keep my house batteries charged while boondocking over several days to keep up with lights, water pump, etc. Heavy loads covered by generator.

Any suggestions on energy survey options? I've done a quick and dirty estimate and I am leaning towards 300-400 watts of solar with 30 or 40 amp MPPT charge controller, etc.

Again, your comments are much appreciated, a lot to research.

Rebecca

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Our '99 Bounder has plenty of room on the roof for solar panels. But my reservations has been the fact that most campgrounds and even boondocking sites are tree-covered. I don't want to spend a lot of money for very little return. Just looking for some feedback. Chuck

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Your coach was originally manufactured with 2 6 volt house batteries.
Change back to the OEM 6 volt batteries for better performance and longer life.
I have 500 watts of solar and a 30 amp MPPT charge controller on our 95 Bounder and it serves most of our needs while snow birding off grid.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Hereโ€™s a resource for you: http://mobile-solarPower.com I recommend highly.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
First thing is to decide what you are trying to accomplish with solar.

If you are thinking of running the air/con or other heavy long duration loads the same as if you were plugged into shore power, that's a tall order for solar.

Solar works well if you want to camp without moving for multiple days and only use a few small loads (lights, water pump, maybe an hour or two of TV, etc...). With a proper inverter, you can get away with a microwave for a few minutes to heat something up. Once you start trying to do more, a solar system starts to become impractical if not technically impossible.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You wonโ€™t regret installing an adequate solar system....batteries, panels, wire and controller. The key is an energy survey to determine your average daily AH use. Then times 1.5. It all flows from the survey.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
What do you want to power? Its like money, you have a balance (batteries) , demand or number of amp hours needed (withdrawals), deposits or income (panels but also the controller and wiring).

If you are trying yo power X overnight you need X plus 10% for losses and you can only use about half or so of the batteries rated amp hours (depends on batteries too)

Come sun up you need to put it back in plus losses and any daytime loads

There is a lot to say so i wanted to give you a little to think about and get the feel of it. Everyone does it differently so no one can tell you exactly what to do. The more you can post on here about what you want to power, where and when you camp etc will help people answer you.

Some can get by with little and some want a lot. If you just wanted to keep your batteries up during storage that would probably be pretty easy to answer. If you want to stay out boondocking thatโ€™s different. Some incorporate a generator into it to carry heavy morning loads like coffee makers and at the same time pump the heavy amps back into the batteries and finish off the day with solar.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea. You have some reading to do.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider changing to 6 volt batteries. They generally hold up better than 12 volt.
Our 96 Southwind has two 6 volt house batteries and they work well but, I do not have a solar system.

The 12 Volt Side of Life is helpful to understand the 12 volt system.

What information are you seeking about adding a solar system?
Someone will have the answer.

RACC01
Explorer
Explorer
House batteries are up front under hood in engine, abd yes, I have space for more batteries (compartments?)

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have space that will hold more batteries.