Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Lance 830 with Ram 3500 Mega Cab
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance 830 with Ram 3500 Mega Cab

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the COG behind the rear axle when I carried my 11' Fleetwood on a 2005 Chevy dually. It handled fine over many year, many states, and thousands of miles.

dhull

apple valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy dude! If you want the furthest back COG from the cab.
When I was buying truck for a chosen camper in 2016 i carefully measured the beds of the big 3. Chevys rear wheel centers were the furthest from the head wall of the truck bed, the point where the rubber bumpers on the front of camper touch the truck. I wasn't brand loyal so I bought the crew cab Chevy 3500 SRW. Great truck, my first Chevy! As I recall there was a 3 or 4 inch difference between the shortest and longest of the measurements.
My campers COG ended up directly over top of hub centers.

Weekendwarrior204

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure I'm fine and just wanted to make sure before making this heafty investment.

But seriously, does anyone know why ram would make a bed less than 80"? I'm not talking about the long bed/short bed argument, which is ridiculous. 1) short bed camper, 2) when hauling materials other than the camper I max out payload long before I fill my short bed, 3) my SB is more capable than LB on trail and 4) its a hell of a lot easier to fit in a parking space when grocery getting!

But at 81" bed length I can fit two pallets in my F250 short bed. But 76" in the Ram? What the hell? I know we're only talking inches 5-6" but those are kind of important inches (joke?) in a HD work truck. And this isn't just the mega cab. Same bed on the standard crew cab short bed.

Sorry can't let it go. Really does seem like FCAs target market on these is the Grocery Getter, as previously suggested, with them stressing the luxury of the cabin and ride quality.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ummm, been this way since at least 2003. I don’t recall how long 2nd gen short beds are. Maybe since 1994.
If it was a big enough issue I suspect Dodge would have changed it in the last 20 years.
It’s a short bed. They make different lengths from 5.xx to 6.xx to 8’.
I guess, not something that I personally ponder.
Been hauling a SB camper that overhangs 3’ past the bed for about 6 years now. Not certain it would feel any different if it was on a Ford with a 5” longer bed.
Although those “inches” are important when I’m towing the boat. In that instance, I could use the inches with my setup

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hauling pallets is irrelevant. Pallets come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Maybe there is some kind of standard but I've never seen it. I get freight quite often on pallets and unless it's the exact same piece of equipment the pallets are always different.
I agree that short beds are crazy, particularly for actual truck type uses (hauling). It used to be the 8' was standard and the 6.5"'was short. Now the 6.5' is standard and the 8' basically needs to be custom ordered. I'm an electrical contractor, conduit is 10' long, so I'd love a 10' bed on a truck which also used to be an option from one company in the 70's I think.
I generally end up with custom flatbeds and utility bodies on my trucks anyway and they still don't hold enough stuff.
''

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That dodge mega cab eats up a lot of wheel base, that’s why the short bed. Pretty sure all the MC say ”not for TC’s”-check the glove box. You will NOT be happy with COG behind axle.

Have you seen the Ford crew cab? Just as big and come with a real bed. Just sayin’...

Safe travels, Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Annwn

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are (or were) at least two companies that do Ram Mega Cab extensions. One of which is http://stretchmytruck.com/ - that would be a solution.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good grief, 2" is nothing.

That amount of weight shift translates to the equivalent of <500lbs of tongue weight, and NOBODY thinks a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck needs any sort of help to handle a 500lb tongue weight.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance 830 with Ram 3500 Mega Cab
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.