cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Power Awning Fabric

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I'm needing to replace my awning fabric on a 5th wheel with a power awning. Curious if it is as much of a pain as doing it on a manual awning, which I've done before and swore I'd never do again. Does it have a spring that needs rewound like the manual awning? Any other insight?

Thanks in advance for any input!
2010 Montana Mountaineer 345DBQ 37' 5th Wheel

Previous: 2005 Coachmen Capri Ruby Edition 28' Bumper Pull
9 REPLIES 9

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
There IS a spring. Roll it out a very short distance, put a pin (long cotter pin) through the hole in the left end upper bracket, tie the arms on both ends so they don't expand out, unbolt both end brackets and get some help to lift the brackets out of the arms. Unroll the awning down towards the ground, slide the cloth out of the tube then the upper rail. Reverse for installation, and don't forget to remove the cotter pin...extend and retract a couple of times to make sure all is well. My wife and I with 2 ladders did it in less than 2 hours.

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I went with the 15 oz. vinyl.

Thanks, ended up ordering standard 13oz since color and price were right, and read it holds up well too.

Will see how it goes. Thanks again.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with the 15 oz. vinyl.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
If you didn't like doing the manual awning, it's likely you won't like doing an electric one either. ๐Ÿ™‚ I watched videos on how to do it, and decided I would spend a few bucks and have someone do it. I bought the fabric and had it installed. I think it cost $150 or so to have it done. Well worth it IMO.

I got the material from Shade Pro. Excellent quality at a reasonable, I thought, price.

Thanks for the input. Do you recall if you did 13oz or 15oz?

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
After watching a video and looking closer, mine should be pretty easy so going to do it. Did standard Shade Pro. Thanks

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
crcr wrote:
A friend helped me and we changed the fabric on a 19 ft power awning on our travel trailer. It was pretty straightforward. With power awning, no spring mechanism to deal with, so I would say they are easier to do than non-power awning.

There is a spring on the LH rear Torsion on most power awnings. You must have had the brand that has no spring. Doug

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
A friend helped me and we changed the fabric on a 19 ft power awning on our travel trailer. It was pretty straightforward. With power awning, no spring mechanism to deal with, so I would say they are easier to do than non-power awning.

Moved from ATC

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you didn't like doing the manual awning, it's likely you won't like doing an electric one either. ๐Ÿ™‚ I watched videos on how to do it, and decided I would spend a few bucks and have someone do it. I bought the fabric and had it installed. I think it cost $150 or so to have it done. Well worth it IMO.

I got the material from Shade Pro. Excellent quality at a reasonable, I thought, price.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"