Let the parks wars begin!!!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
16 REPLIES 16

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Missouri State Parks have no entrance fees and the camping rate is the same for residents or non. Missouri has some of the best parks, in my opinion, in the country. And the whole thing is funded by a 1/8 of 1% sales tax. All headed by the Department of Conservation, which does an exceptional job.
It is quite a shock to go to, say, Michigan and pay an entrance fee plus a $5.00 non-resident up charge. An Michigan isn't the only one.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at federal parks. They are usually cheaper. And if you have the lifetime senior pass,it is half price,plus free entrance to any National Park or historic site.WE just booked a site at Raystown Lake in Pa.It is an Army Corps of Engineers Campground. Normal site with electric is $36 a night. With Senior Pass it is $18.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Many states (and counties and municipalities) have different rates for nonresident campers or visitors using their parks. I don't mind that in the slightest; it's only fair that the residents who collectively own the parks should get a better deal in using them. Indeed, I'm rather surprised that Oregon apparently did not have an out-of-state surcharge already.

I think I've only encountered a few places in my travels where there was no non-resident surcharge for such parks. National parks tend to be a little different, and of course private parks rarely have better rates for locals.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Fort Stevens St Park a couple weeks back. There were probably 6 Idaho plates right around us in our loop. I would venture to guess that 30-40% of the plates were from out of state. I realize WA is right across the river so WA are given, but the spot right behind us (Pull thru) had on one nite a UT plate then the next night a Conn plate. Walking around the park it was amazing the number of out of state plates.
I'm all for an out of state fee hike.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
RV industry pumping out the RV's. No new parks are being built or renovated for more sites ๐Ÿ˜ž

Regulations hamper the building of new campgrounds and make it cost prohibitive. What is the solution to this problem?

Simple parks with less amenities to keep costs down?

A Jellystone campground about 40 miles from us spent the last year+ expanding and rebuilding. Originally had about 125 sites. Now there are over 200 sites and the same amount of cabins, plus a water park and other amenities. A full hookup site now is around $100 a night! We never stayed there before, won't now for sure.

The big attraction in the area is the Renaissance Festival in July and August, which was cancelled this year. Not my cup of tea either.

Y-Guy
As much as nobody likes paying more, I don't blame Oregon at all. We're still in Oregon three nights at State parks, a County park and three at a private resort, out of the license plates I see easily 50% are out of state guests. The reliance on the Lottery for funding has come to bite the Parks department hard. I just wish they'd stop the spin about staying at home and say "We need the cash and Oregonians want to go to their own parks," at least that would be honest. Fact is that Oregon needs the tourists, while it won't hurt the parks it may impact the other businesses nearby.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

Regulations hamper the building of new campgrounds and make it cost prohibitive. What is the solution to this problem?

The first two words is your answer.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
RV industry pumping out the RV's. No new parks are being built or renovated for more sites ๐Ÿ˜ž

Simple parks with less amenities to keep costs down?

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Michigan has done it forever with a higher vehicle pass price for out of state residents.

Two lines of thought on this:
- State residents own the parks, so they should get a better price.
- These are big tourist draws and support nearby businesses so you shouldn't discourage tourists.

As someone suggested, for a typical weekender, it's unlikely to have a big impact one way or the other.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are weekend warriors so campsite rates donโ€™t really have much influence on where we go. But Iโ€™d be glad to pay an extra 20-30% if they would use it to build more sites.

We camp mainly in GA, AL, and FL, and sites in the better state parks stay booked. You can no longer grab a site for a spur of the moment trip at the parks youโ€™d want to go to.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those prices wouldn't deter us from going to Oregon State Parks as WA Parks are already that much or more.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
NY State Park campgrounds have had $5 out-of-state surcharge for several years now. It really doesn't seem to have made much difference in the out of state/country license count I see in the parks. Right now COVID-19 has been a bigger factor limiting out of staters and northern neighbors, but it's still difficult to find available sites even for next year. We have a two week 4th of July stay locked up along with a one week Labor Day stay for next year, but finding acceptable stays in between is proving to be difficult. We did luck into a one week cancellation for next week at a NY state park that just opened a few years ago that we've wanted to check out though. We'll be there Sunday afternoon...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I also would be down with it here or really anywhere for that matter. You are so right I have no idea how it is in other states but I have almost given up trying to camp here in CO on the weekend here. As you said if you don't reserve a spot as soon as they are available you can't hardly get a site in a state park or NF campground here. And at least in my experience just hoping to find a spot doesn't always work out I know there have been several times where I thought oh I can get a spot and then spend half the night trying to find one and end up settling for some side of the road spot which really bites. It gets a bit easier if you are willing to travel 200 miles from the front range but that is a bit far for the weekend. Even way west Silverton, Ouray, Gunnison is packed with out of staters. Silverton maybe it is Lake City area I think it is is nicknamed little Texas do to the huge amount of Texicans who frequent the area.No offense meant to them, just not enough facilities here for years out there for the demand.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
TUCQUALA wrote:
https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=v.feature-article&articleId=286

Let the parks wars begin!!!!!

Clickable linkage