Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Back to the '70s!!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

Regulations hamper the building of new campgrounds and make it cost prohibitive. What is the solution to this problem?

The first two words is your answer.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As much as nobody likes paying more, I don't blame Oregon at all. We're still in Oregon three nights at State parks, a County park and three at a private resort, out of the license plates I see easily 50% are out of state guests. The reliance on the Lottery for funding has come to bite the Parks department hard. I just wish they'd stop the spin about staying at home and say "We need the cash and Oregonians want to go to their own parks," at least that would be honest. Fact is that Oregon needs the tourists, while it won't hurt the parks it may impact the other businesses nearby.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

RV industry pumping out the RV's. No new parks are being built or renovated for more sites [emoticon]

Regulations hamper the building of new campgrounds and make it cost prohibitive. What is the solution to this problem?

Simple parks with less amenities to keep costs down?

A Jellystone campground about 40 miles from us spent the last year+ expanding and rebuilding. Originally had about 125 sites. Now there are over 200 sites and the same amount of cabins, plus a water park and other amenities. A full hookup site now is around $100 a night! We never stayed there before, won't now for sure.

The big attraction in the area is the Renaissance Festival in July and August, which was cancelled this year. Not my cup of tea either.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at Fort Stevens St Park a couple weeks back. There were probably 6 Idaho plates right around us in our loop. I would venture to guess that 30-40% of the plates were from out of state. I realize WA is right across the river so WA are given, but the spot right behind us (Pull thru) had on one nite a UT plate then the next night a Conn plate. Walking around the park it was amazing the number of out of state plates.
I'm all for an out of state fee hike.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many states (and counties and municipalities) have different rates for nonresident campers or visitors using their parks. I don't mind that in the slightest; it's only fair that the residents who collectively own the parks should get a better deal in using them. Indeed, I'm rather surprised that Oregon apparently did not have an out-of-state surcharge already.

I think I've only encountered a few places in my travels where there was no non-resident surcharge for such parks. National parks tend to be a little different, and of course private parks rarely have better rates for locals.

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay at federal parks. They are usually cheaper. And if you have the lifetime senior pass,it is half price,plus free entrance to any National Park or historic site.WE just booked a site at Raystown Lake in Pa.It is an Army Corps of Engineers Campground. Normal site with electric is $36 a night. With Senior Pass it is $18.

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Missouri State Parks have no entrance fees and the camping rate is the same for residents or non. Missouri has some of the best parks, in my opinion, in the country. And the whole thing is funded by a 1/8 of 1% sales tax. All headed by the Department of Conservation, which does an exceptional job.
It is quite a shock to go to, say, Michigan and pay an entrance fee plus a $5.00 non-resident up charge. An Michigan isn't the only one.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.