Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Caution
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Caution

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You all must have some high powered Are Vees there!
I can feel a brake hanging up a little on a trailer behind a diesel pickup, but there are folks who can drag a car down the road in park or with the brakes locked up and not notice anything is a bit off??

If that's the case, you only need to look in the mirror to assign blame or fault. Wake up!

I've said it before, driving or towing a large vehicle or trailer isnt in everyone's bag of tricks.
I'd never attempt surgery or computer programming and some people shouldn't tow things.

Not really that powerful, it’s more of simple physics - when the towing vehicle weighs 5 or 6 times more than the unit being towed, it is quite possible to drag brakes on the towed vehicle and not really notice it much up front. If you’d ever towed a car behind a motorhome like many of us, you’d know that and understand why it’s wise to wire in an indicator to let you know when towed vehicle brakes are being applied.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of missing details on this one, but it’s sounds like you might want to engage a lawyer for guidance with no easy way out, when we tow our wrangler 2006, we always ease into it after hook up and watch it on the camera, I recently added the tpm system to the rv and Jeep to watch temp and pressure, you might consider something like that as it would have helped, I wish we would have years ago.

Folks may not realize on the thread it was the Ford Edge that went into park, a brake indicator will moot show that, it sounds like some malfunction of the car electrical or neutral setting. Lots of unknown on this one.

Winnebago Access 24V

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question to the original poster have you read and understood the flat tow instructions for your model

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O41026&variantid=6275&languageCode=EN&countryCode=USA&marketCode=US&vCode=&vFilteringEnabled=False&subTitleSelected=G1953026&chapterTitleSelected=G1676120&topicHRef=G1953027&viewTech=IE&div=f&userMarket=USA

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as a reminder to all discussion about hiring lawyers can get a thread shut down. The mention of it once is ok, but continued discussion is where things get shut down.
Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 09/05/20 03:59pm by down home *

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My post regarding a lawyer was not guidance just a suggestion sometimes folks do not think of all off their options

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good travisc, just needed to make sure others understood.

Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Sorry to hear of the issues, but this is a classic case of needin to have some knowledge of what you’re operating and responsibility to check proper operation and the ability to understand and maintain, or be at the mercy of others.

Tough spot though, hope you get the best possible resolution.

Yes, very important you know your equipment.

A couple years ago, we traded toads. Since we fulltimed, we were not familiar with the dealership, etc. We bought a newly used Ford Flex which, based on all our information, was towable. Even though the manual says we can, I rarely trust them because manuals have a way of getting switched between cars. Always in the past, my DH did all the work installing the base plate and wiring, etc. We did not buy it at a Ford dealer and when we asked detailed questions about the towing, the dealership called the Ford service manager in town who was a friend. He was very kind and walked us through the procedure to follow when hooking up.

The salesman's high school friend owned a garage where we had the base plate dropped shipped and they put it on for us. BUT, after all that was done, we hooked up and one of us always walks along behind watching for problems as the other drove through the parking lot. Satisfied all was working, we left. But we did stop and check that first day. We do have a TPMS which gives us tire temps.

The only problem we had was the battery going dead. This was a concern I had when speaking with the Ford service manager who assured me this would not happen. But after it happened twice, my DH put a battery disconnect (a blade type switch) and the last thing he does upon hookup is to throw that blade. AND, most importantly, if you start the car soon after flipping that blade back on, all the settings are restored, i.e, clock, radio presets, etc.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Caution
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.