Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Caution
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Caution

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friend couple that we convoy with across the USA left my home on one visit and I noticed two black lines out my driveway and down the highway. I chased them down and and stopped them. Sometimes people forget to move the cars out of park when they begin to tow.

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Well, We are stranded. Ford took five days and they say it is ours and Sun Valley's problem. We have no receipts. Ford paid for it. Sun valley doesn't know what they are doing and we can't move the car from Ford's lot..until tires are put on..and they did not send State Farm photos requested so they will cover the tires. Then the coach,the transfer switch quit. 4 to 6 days and find someone to install it. Another 500.00+ plus. Wife is about to collapse and I may not be far behind. Never buy another Ford and that is about every auto we have bought.

Been driving Fords almost exclusively for 40 years & been very pleased. Still pull my 2014 Edge. But I won't be buying a Ford to use as a toad any time soon.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear of the issues, but this is a classic case of needin to have some knowledge of what you’re operating and responsibility to check proper operation and the ability to understand and maintain, or be at the mercy of others.

Tough spot though, hope you get the best possible resolution.

* This post was edited 08/23/20 12:39pm by Grit dog *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Friend couple that we convoy with across the USA left my home on one visit and I noticed two black lines out my driveway and down the highway. I chased them down and and stopped them. Sometimes people forget to move the cars out of park when they begin to tow.
And I'm sure some forget to put them in park as mine requires. [emoticon]

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does your Ford Edge's owner's manual say about towing it 4 down?
Specifically, look for the section on recreational towing. Does it say that you need to disconnect the battery before towing it? Some Ford vehicles require that.

This sounds like you have one that requires you to disconnect the battery when flat towing, to prevent exactly what happened to you - transmission electronically shifting into gear while towing.

If that is the case (required to disconnect battery when towing and you did not), then Ford is right on here, and this is indeed your responsibility. This would not be the first time that has happened, either.

The other issues you had with brakes apparently dragging and doing some damage....Welll, that's a whol'e nother story, and shows why no matter what system you use, you need to wire in an indicator light of some kind so that you know in the Motorhome exactly when the towed vehicle's brakes are engaging or not. If you'd had that, there is a good chance you'd have known there was an issue before it did so much damage.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

in5r

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may be wrong but I don't believe the 2019 Edges and up can be towed 4 wheels down. Unless there is some kind of way around it.

2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New ford edge was being towed by a friend of mine and both rear tires were flat on the tread. parking brake came on. left at a ford store and nothing was done or figured why it happened. It was a long story so he bought a car trailer and carried it back to Canada to the dealer where t was purchased. I need to find out what happened. the last time I saw them was when my wife fell out of that car and broke her leg in 2 places in January. chevman

chevman
2021 Jayco Hawk 28RL
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For 14 years I've had a cab light connected to the toad brake lights so that I know when the toad brakes are applied, no help with the ebrake of course.

I would not want a toad that required disconnecting the battery. A sitch external to the hood area might be acceptable.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

For 14 years I've had a cab light connected to the toad brake lights so that I know when the toad brakes are applied, no help with the ebrake of course.

Yep, I do the same, always have. Am a firm believer that no matter what toad braking system one uses, it is a very good idea to wire some kind of indicator to let you know any time toad vehicle's brakes are being applied. Without that, if something goes wrong and toad's brakes start dragging...By the time you realize it up in the Motorhome cab, a LOT of expensive damage may well already be done to your toad.

Quote:

I would not want a toad that required disconnecting the battery. A sitch external to the hood area might be acceptable.

Agreed, wouldn't want that, either, not even if it was via a switch. Would get very old, having to reset the clocks, etc. in the car after every trip. That, and I'd always be afraid I'd forget one time to disconnect it and would cause a bunch of damage.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all must have some high powered Are Vees there!
I can feel a brake hanging up a little on a trailer behind a diesel pickup, but there are folks who can drag a car down the road in park or with the brakes locked up and not notice anything is a bit off??

If that's the case, you only need to look in the mirror to assign blame or fault. Wake up!

I've said it before, driving or towing a large vehicle or trailer isnt in everyone's bag of tricks.
I'd never attempt surgery or computer programming and some people shouldn't tow things.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Caution
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.